HDTV Suggestions

tkam

• 2 weeks later...

Just have to add that we are definitely enjoying our g25. The black levels are freaking insane. The THX mode renders the colors incredibly accurate and lifelike, and is still user adjustable if needed. I know when I bought the tv, the THX mode certification was somewhat part of the decision, but I didn't realize how well it would actually render the overall picture, it is near perfect regarding contrast, color, balance, and overall uniformity. I am a video newb so take with a grain of salt but for the price compared to some of the LEDs or pioneers I couldn't be happier.

The vivid mode is freaking cartoonish and gave us a bit of a headache after the wow factor went away, and standard is a bit off in how the colors are portrayed, but the THX certification mode is the real deal.

Well, it looks like I am finally in the market for a new TV. Oddly, as obsessive as I am about most other gear, video stuff tends to just piss me off. I will be replacing my much loved, but absolutely hulking Sony WEGA KD-34XS955 34 inch CRT.

Here are my needs and desires. I want picture quality and connectivity options. I need good viewing angles--I hate bad viewing angles. I want good performance for viewing sports. Needs to be watchable in a lit room--we do not have blackout shades so this is important. I don't need any widgets or any similar sort of flimflam--I don't intend to book my vacation on the thing.

Our household primarily watches, in order of importance to ME: (a) sports; (B) TV shows; © movies; and (d) children's programming. I can't get anything obscenely big, but I want something that will slightly terrify my wife. I can probably only spend up to $1500 and would prefer to spend less--maybe even a lot less. I also need to figure out HTF to get rid of my current 250(!) pound TV.

Now you all help me with these issues.

Weirdly, it looks like supplies of good grade TVs - specifically the G-25 Pannies that we've been talking about in this thread, in just about any size - are down and prices are up at the moment. Shopping could be a pain. It seems like they are trying really hard to force you to 3D, which pisses me off.

That said, I did see 50" G-25s at B&H for $1050 shipped this week.

Sounds like you may be more of a candidate for LCD or LED, though. I don't know how screwed up the market for those is, but across the board this seems to be the year of products that don't exist. I just tried to buy a coffee maker for a Christmas present. Zero in stores, zero in the pipeline. Fifth or sixth product like that I've run across this year.

Panny plasma. G25 or the vt25 for 3d and even better black levels. Great viewing angles, no glare in well lit room, with plenty of light output. The best is the thx mode, it truly gets you about as close to a really nice calibrated picture without actually having to pay for a professional calibration. The vier a connectivity options are a bonus.

Edit: those Sony CRTs truly are beasts of burden, but I have always loved the picture of my 27" kv 310. I remember when I used to work at best buy in high school and college the Sony xbr's and kd's were always sweet looking. Sony CRTs definitely have a nice picture but a well calibrated plasma or LCD should be a significant step up.

Edited by recstar24

I've been reading some complaints about noise from the Panny and Samsung plasmas. It appears to be much worse on the Samsungs. Can anyone comment?

my research also told me the problem was worse with samsung. bottom line is some sets are noisier then others. no noise with my panny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my research also told me the problem was worse with samsung. bottom line is some sets are noisier then others. no noise with my panny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sure hope you ate right about the S2, Postywillow. We just picked up a 42 incher for my inlaws and I will never hear the end of it if the set sucks. Well, until my father in law kicks the bucket at least.

Random question - anyone have a professional calibration done? Curious if you have and what your impressions are.

There is a huge dedicated thread on avsforum on the g25. I have been reading up on it, tons of great info, once you sift through all the newbs asking about settings. There is a guy who i guess worked for pioneer and is one of the more well known calibrators, who has panasonic connections, and he posted some settings under thx mode as well as modifying the grayscale in the service menu which gets you about 90% of what an official ISF calibration would get you. Ive done it and it is really a nice accurate picture, and apparently the color is as accurate if not more than some of the famous pioneer plasmas.

Oh, and reading through those threads,the whole videophile world is pretty intense. On one hand, it's cool that their are some industry international standards for color accuracy, grayscale, etc. which allows users to zero in on an accurate picture, whereas the audiophiles world is very far from having those kind of objective standards or measurements. O the other side, the newbs are some oF the stupidest people I read comments from. For example, so many users just blindly go into the service menu and starting modifying their white balance without understanding what the heck they are doing, thereby really messing up their picture. And every page there is someone asking what offsets are or how to get into their service menu or if they really need to break in their tv or if they really need to get their tv calibrated, etc.

I sure hope you ate right about the S2, Postywillow. We just picked up a 42 incher for my inlaws and I will never hear the end of it if the set sucks. Well, until my father in law kicks the bucket at least.

You need not worry. Postjack International will be available to hear your inlaws' concerns, and if necessary find a suitable method to meet their needs. :basement:

Random question - anyone have a professional calibration done? Curious if you have and what your impressions are.

There is a huge dedicated thread on avsforum on the g25. I have been reading up on it, tons of great info, once you sift through all the newbs asking about settings. There is a guy who i guess worked for pioneer and is one of the more well known calibrators, who has panasonic connections, and he posted some settings under thx mode as well as modifying the grayscale in the service menu which gets you about 90% of what an official ISF calibration would get you. Ive done it and it is really a nice accurate picture, and apparently the color is as accurate if not more than some of the famous pioneer plasmas.

Oh, and reading through those threads,the whole videophile world is pretty intense. On one hand, it's cool that their are some industry international standards for color accuracy, grayscale, etc. which allows users to zero in on an accurate picture, whereas the audiophiles world is very far from having those kind of objective standards or measurements. O the other side, the newbs are some oF the stupidest people I read comments from. For example, so many users just blindly go into the service menu and starting modifying their white balance without understanding what the heck they are doing, thereby really messing up their picture. And every page there is someone asking what offsets are or how to get into their service menu or if they really need to break in their tv or if they really need to get their tv calibrated, etc.

My friend-who-knows-a-lot-about-TVs told me not to worry about calibration. He asked me if I was really interested in accuracy, or if I wanted the colors to "pop" off the screen and be cool and fun. In other words, am I a videophile, or do I just want to enjoy my TV. In his opinion, if you really want to go down that videophile rabbit hole and get calibration, thats fine, but the end result will be a more "neutral" color presentation which yes will be more accurate, but maybe not as fun.

yes, the parallels to audiophilia are not lost on me. :) I'll just save my money and stick with the Cinema factory setting.