HDTV Suggestions

tkam

Cool, what settings are you running? I'll give them a go.

First off, I absolutely love thx mode. Right of the bat without doing anything I love the color presentation, very natural and easy on the eyes but still plenty of pop. Standard is too dim and vivid is too cartoony. You can go the custom route but why bother when thx is so right on.

Contrast is set at 60 stock, I've played around with 57-68, settling on 64 as a nice point. Brightness I play with very close to stock thx, unlike 56-59 but keep it on the low end. Color is nice at 50, and I would reduce sharpness as low as possible to where you are comfortable with, I have mine around 35 but others apparently go as low as 10.

Color temp is the big one. Warm2 is technically the closest to the D65 standard, but it definitely is a bit over done in the red and seems to lack blue. Clicking on color management helps get the blue back, but then the green becomes just a bit oversaturated. Warm1 is nicer in that regard but takes it a bit cooler, you'll have to play it by eye to see which one you prefer. Normal and cool is way too cool for my eyes.

Now the d65 standard is somewhere between warm1 and warm2, so what they recommend is going with warm2, and modifying the grayscale by going into the service menu and adjusting the white balance to get it closer to where it should be. Service menu is easy but you do have to be careful as you can't reset those values. Play around with the above and if you feel you need more adjustment pm me or check out the thread at aveforum for g25 settings.

No noise on mine either. I don't think the G25 is that great in a really brightly lit room if that is what Dinny will be in most of the time. I do prefer to at least dim the lights if I am forced to have some lighting on when watching TV.

I feel it performs very well, or at least the experts say it does better than other plasmas in that regard. My room is a sub basement level with minimal lighting from outside so i agree a dim room works well, but you can say the same about any HDTV j think.

I feel it performs very well, or at least the experts say it does better than other plasmas in that regard. My room is a sub basement level with minimal lighting from outside so i agree a dim room works well, but you can say the same about any HDTV j think.

You're right I've only read of LCDs performing better in bright rooms. The anti-glare makes a really nice difference with the G25, and one of the main reasons I went with one.

consider this a cease and desist. go find your own gardening implement.
Um...I realize people associate you with the shovel, but you were hardly first -- I do believe this is where it originated. I haven't been pursuing the infringement, only because I believe it is sufficiently common implement that should remain in the public domain.

I sure hope you ate right about the S2, Postywillow. We just picked up a 42 incher for my inlaws and I will never hear the end of it if the set sucks. Well, until my father in law kicks the bucket at least.

Heh, we just picked up the same set for my mother and father-in law. It better not suck!

Dinny: I have bought a couple of Samsung LCD's and I have been happy with them.

Edited by shellylh

There appears to be something approaching a consensus on the Panny plasmas being the best or near best in class. Is there such consensus on a brand/model on the LCD side?

It used to be Samsung on the LCD side a few years ago it seemed. Now with the panel lottery in full swing, I believe all consensus is lost throughout all LCD manufacturers.

There appears to be something approaching a consensus on the Panny plasmas being the best or near best in class. Is there such consensus on a brand/model on the LCD side?

I believe there are some nice led LCD options but they will be at least twice as much as the g25, and the g25 will still be better regarding color and motion, viewing angles, and not have any of the issues that led LCD brings.

It's fun to read the videophiles on their enthusiast sites. Those guys are nuts with all their obsessiveness over the nth degree of this and that. :)

Yes. One guy I read went ballistic because one pixel seemed slightly dimmer than the other 2 1/2 million pixels.

Or my favorite "help! I went into the service menu even though I have no idea what I am doing and started modifying random things and now my color is all screwed up"

The break in questions are funny and remind me of old school headfi.

I have a 47" and 42" LG LCD and a 60" LG plasma. Am very happy with all 3. I was able to buy from a local mom and pop store who had JVC, Toshiba, Samsung, and LG. Prefered the LG LCD's picture over the others. When I bought the plasma, Panasonic was my first choice but I got tired of waiting for them to be shipped and bought the LG.

Yes. One guy I read went ballistic because one pixel seemed slightly dimmer than the other 2 1/2 million pixels.

Or my favorite "help! I went into the service menu even though I have no idea what I am doing and started modifying random things and now my color is all screwed up"

And my all time favorite, "OMG, did you notice a pause 2 minutes and 27 seconds into chapter 15 of [insert name of random movie]". Have to admit though that I belong to 4 of those forums.

I don't read AVS, but it is funny hearing people talk about the colors "popping" when they upgrade their TV's power cable to one that cost more than the TV :D

And my all time favorite, "OMG, did you notice a pause 2 minutes and 27 seconds into chapter 15 of [insert name of random movie]". Have to admit though that I belong to 4 of those forums.

DVD layer changes no?

Consensus, really, that's your question? I like Sharp Aquos, but that was back before they introduced this "yellow" hupla, which strikes me as balderdash.
the IP police are on their way to your home. they have been authorized to use deadly force, so don't resist the beatings. and no, that's not where it originated, at least not for me. i've been saying it since 1967.
Well, on this site, you mentioned your basement quite a bit, but you really didn't discuss the shovel as your implement until after that.

I'm glad the IP police are coming by, I owe Fred and Ernie beers.

;p

Edited by Dusty Chalk

There appears to be something approaching a consensus on the Panny plasmas being the best or near best in class.
I've read some similar comments, and for me I like the look of plams anyway. From what I've read on some of those forums, Panasonic has "fixed" their black-level issues for the 2011 models. Might have something to do with the Kuro tech stuff, not sure. Still, I'll probably try to seek one of those out and see it in person.