HDTV Suggestions

tkam

ST50 and GT50 are very similar. The GT50 adds some thx picture modes, one additional hdmi input, a faster processor for the smart tv crap, and a few other items. Details here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1403635/official-panasonic-gt50-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk#post_21865487

Bottom line you get essentially the same picture quality so unless you need one of the features the GT adds you might as well stick with the ST and save a few hundred bucks. Or get a bigger one with the savings

Wife insinuated last night that if a new TV were to arrive prior to a new kitchen that balls would be stomped... or something like.  Hence, no new TV for Nate.  For now.  Until I can find another avenue for it to arrive without pain.  I did play with a Smart TV (Samsung I think) last night and it's pretty damn cool tech in my book.  And jebus, the 50st50 is $999...

Wife insinuated last night that if a new TV were to arrive prior to a new kitchen that balls would be stomped... or something like.  Hence, no new TV for Nate.  For now.  Until I can find another avenue for it to arrive without pain.  I did play with a Smart TV (Samsung I think) last night and it's pretty damn cool tech in my book.  And jebus, the 50st50 is $999...

It is unfortunately a terrible TV.  I cannot stand my 9000 series Samsung.

But what's not big these days that's readily available and doesn't suck?

Damn! I was just about to say "me", until that last part. :P

Seriously though, it seems as though a decent 40" is priced so close to anything smaller, that why wouldn't you just go 40", even in a bedroom?

Does this look like a good budget Panasonic 55" 3D plasma for $1200?

http://gizmodo.com/5964094/panasonic-st50-plasma-television-review-good-picture-great-value

That is the one that's been recommended several times.

Yup, that's pretty much considered the sweet spot in Panny's lineup in terms of bang-for-the-buck.  It uses a lot of the tech in the better (but pricier) GT and VT models. 

Or even smaller -- I have my 40" main TV in my bedroom right now, and it's pretty overwhelming. Need to move it back out into the main area (with some sort of way to prevent kitty from knocking it over), and if I get anything for the bedroom, I'll get something smaller, like a 32".

That said -- there are problems. A lot of the companies I like stopped making 240Hzers in this size, I had to go back a generation to get what I want.

Or you could get a JVC D-ILA, then you could set it up on as large or as small a screen as you like. My friend the home theater buff who has the best setup I've ever seen has one.

+1

I have one of these (the JVC RS-25 on a 106" screen), and that shit is bananas. It does require a dedicated room, though.

With these high refresh rate, everything looks very artificial, because there is much less blur caused by TV itself. It took me a very long time to get use to. I have a 60Hz Sony LCD TV and a 600Hz Samsung Plasma,I don't really see much difference between the two in terms of refresh rate. The Samsung might have better resolution and less motion blur when things are moving absurdly fast, but that can be a result of many other things than the refresh rate.

Plasma refresh rates really can't be compared to LCD refresh rates. The only reason plasmas say that 600 Hz BS is to compete with the LCDs that keep upping their advertised refresh rate. For plasmas it refers to the subfield drive, or really how fast each individual pixel is being excited which is a requirement of plasma technology due to rapid decay of light from each pixel. This post here explains things much better than I can: http://www.hdtvtalk.com/threads/15597-What-does-600Hz-Sub-Field-Drive-mean

With these high refresh rate, everything looks very artificial, because there is much less blur caused by TV itself.

Actually, it can look very artificial, but doesn't necessarily have to.  It depends on the algorithm used to generate the data between the two actual frames.  Some are better than others.  It's analogous to upsampling.  Just a minor quibble -- otherwise everything that's been said are all good points.