HDTV Suggestions

tkam

I agree it still has uses, it just moved down a lot of people's list when the tuners all went external.  That said, it wasn't ever on my list of features I wanted, and I've maybe used it 3 times in 10 years.  Our solution to "the kids want to play video games" is a tv upstairs without a tuner on it, just an appletv and an xbox.

Here's a solution:

Have 4 tvs mounted in your living room, with the new minimal bezels.  Then you can do 4K for movies, and when you're watching anything else, you can have up to 4 things playing at once for your short attention span needs!

• Like 1

I haven't given PIP a thought in more than a decade.  I'm with Dusty on this, Tivo/DVR's pretty much eliminated my need for it. 

My one gripe with the Sammy so far is the deblurring settings which appear to be causing more jutter than reducing blur.  I currently have it cranked to the lowest setting after the highest looked like watching a pan-and-scan DVD from days of old.  Next step is to shut if off completely.

The Sammy has been purchased and is cued up and ready for its first family movie night. First impressions are very good and luckily best buy had dropped their price $50 from just last week.

I'm curious how the networking works on yours. For us, with wireless it would not really connect at all (with 3 different APs, one of which is "enterprise class"), and wired, while it said it was connected to the local network, it would claim the connection to the internet failed repeatedly. Samsung claimed that this was evidence that the network was at fault, and not the TV. That seemed plausible, but the Roku worked fine, our computers worked fine, and AT&T spent hours looking for errors and could not find anything suspicious.

The one thing that baffles me is the lack of picture in picture.

I don't know that it baffles me, but I do kind of miss it. Useful for keeping a game on in the corner that I only sort of want to see.

I'm curious how the networking works on yours.

It successfully performed some of the software checks at startup and is getting guide and program info which I presume comes via the internets and not over the wire but I could be wrong.  I'll try the browser or some other clearly networked feature tonight and let you know. 

I'm curious how the networking works on yours. For us, with wireless it would not really connect at all (with 3 different APs, one of which is "enterprise class"), and wired, while it said it was connected to the local network, it would claim the connection to the internet failed repeatedly. Samsung claimed that this was evidence that the network was at fault, and not the TV. That seemed plausible, but the Roku worked fine, our computers worked fine, and AT&T spent hours looking for errors and could not find anything suspicious.

Doug, did either you or ATT use sniffer software to examine the exchanges to and from the TV?  It would be interesting to see if the TV just wasn't sending or responding, or if there was an application error.

• 7 months later...

I've had my Panasonic VT25 for years now and still think great compared to anything I've seen to date.

If you can actually find a Panasonic plasma any more you might want to get extended warranty though, I have had some problems where it shuts off and goes to error code because the fan fails, nothing a couple smacks to the back can't fix, but still an issue.

A good site for TV reviews is http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television.html 

Edited by Matt_Carter

• 3 weeks later...

Todd... is 60 large enough? May want to go 65. Either way, get it... but Abe's of Maine has it for 1640$ http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=SSPN60F8500&id=SSPN60F8500&l=PLA&gclid=CjwKEAjwre6dBRC94d-Gma7g3wcSJACNatZer7vI7YrM-b6gYjHKtZMlstEgHtoOoHxPKWj0ZvxrihoCSKHw_wcB with a free wall mount. Hmmm... I want to wall mount my 60" plasma now.

**BRENT**