HDTV Suggestions

tkam

Can you not get a cable card and say http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/ , run cat6 to the room, and then say use a fireTV with xbmc as your "cable" source if you must. No cable equipment rental fee - three tuners for live TV /recorded anywhere in the house -or add more if required. Add an appleTV to cover the other IP ecosystems and add AirPlay for tidal /spotty etc from an iPad.

Route through an avr with pre outs for selection / room correction /bass management, to feed active monitors /sub - genelecs /emotiva / Yamaha HS - the choice is yours. PQ / SQ & flexibility and somewhere to listen to all you multi channel audio ( BD or SACD / DSD ) :)

Right now I'm very interested in the whole Pioneer Elite Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 system. That would include the speakers with the upward firing Atmos speakers designed by Andrew Jones who was at KEF. The few reviews I have seen are complementary of the system. The new MCACC PRO system appears to meet my needs.

As I looked more and more at the Genelec system and the issues getting power to all the monitors and making sure that the video and audio were in sync etc I have basically given up on that.

• 5 months later...

Can anyone suggest a large TV/monitor for under $1500? Bigger is better, and absolute picture quality is not critical. This will be used mostly for Power Point presentations. The ability to connect a computer/tablet/phone to it wirelessly would be great, as would the ability to use a "pen" to doodle on it in some way. (Projectors have already been rejected as an option.)

Edited by dsavitsk

• 10 months later...

I saw a 2016 LG OLED in Costco this week and, while I doubt it was set up with any particular care, it looked terrific. Contrast and black level were off-the-charts good and it just looked real. Same content was playing on the LED next to it, where it looked grey, lifeless and over-sharp.  

• 5 months later...
On 3/17/2016 at 2:50 PM, Hopstretch said:

I saw a 2016 LG OLED in Costco this week and, while I doubt it was set up with any particular care, it looked terrific. Contrast and black level were off-the-charts good and it just looked real. Same content was playing on the LED next to it, where it looked grey, lifeless and over-sharp.  

There is enough 4k content coming out that I'd be slightly interested in upgrading, even though I still absolutely adore the 60 inch Samsung Plasma, if OLED is finally starting to mature.  OLED has been the "next thing" for a good long while...

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this thread up as I now hope to be within about 2 months of picking a new TV.  Size is probably 60-65" for my new living room and the budget is modest, no $10k TVs are coming to my house anytime soon.  Seems like for less than $3k I should be able to do very well, which is where I'd like to stick.  I've check Vizio out and there P-series seems pretty nice, Sammy's new "quantum dot" SUHD sets seem pretty sweet too.  Not sure how I feel about curved vs. flat and reviewers seem to agree, there's not much to be gained in shape over simply just getting a quality panel.  Just about anything is probably going to be a pretty nice upgrade over the current setup which is a nice, but basic 46" Sammy LCD 1080p set.

Anyway, I'd welcome some thoughts and first hand experience.  

38 minutes ago, n_maher said:

... as I now hope to be within about 2 months of picking a new TV.  

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

download (3).jpg

images (1).jpg

images (2).jpg

Sorry, a little contractor humor there.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65UH8500-4k-uhd-tv?&cmpid=sem_(HE)-TV-AON-GGL-Srch-Generic-4K-Size-BMM_+65-+4k-+tv&gclid=CJHS55z9gtACFQE6MgodyRACrA&gclsrc=ds

Has some great reviews.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 1

Vizio P65-C1? Gets good reviews around the Web. Haven't seen one myself. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-65-class-64-52-diag--led-2160p-chromecast-built-in-4k-ultra-hd-home-theater-display-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4352400.p?skuId=4352400

Or maybe an LG OLED. There are some quirks in the technology still (varying accounts of burn-in etc.) but I've never seen a better picture.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-class-64-5-diag--oled-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-metallic-gray/5252701.p?skuId=5252701