HDTV Suggestions

tkam

Meanwhile ...

This is interesting 

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/5/16102320/apple-tv-4k-hdr-support-rumors

Most UHD HDR TV's have the apps for UHD HDR content (Amazon TV, Netflix, YouTube, Google Play, etc)

but its the usual balkanazition of content over providers, so Apple may bring something to the table.

Somewhat late to the party, hardware wise (cf Roku, NVidia Shield) but standards are evolving so maybe later is better.

Compare to Amazon Fire TV, that although it does 4K , no HDR because HDMI (the port spec it shipped with)

Al, having come from a 720p set to the 4k Sammy that I've got now I'm a pretty happy camper.  The perceived betterment is probably more due to 7yrs of TV tech improvements rather than the 4kishness but that said, it's a fracking beautiful picture.  And the LG OLED tech owns the Sammy stuff.  

OTA 1080p content is vastly superior to anything the cable providers are serving up that I welcome 4K OTA. My TiVO setup is working out well as a media hub that combines streaming sources with OTA programming. There is some small annoyances with the pretty massive amount of bandwidth needed to shuffle that content around the house, combined with the TiVO Mini being a bit underpowered as a device...

I find that compression is a bigger factor in quality to me than resolution - I'd rather watch a 1080p Blu-Ray than a 4k Netflix stream any day.
UHD Blu-Rays though... oh man. Planet Earth II in UHD does... things to me.

Agreed. Tried OTA HD out? It's surprisingly good and immediately you can tell the difference between that, ripped and cable provider content.

2 minutes ago, Grahame said:

Just set up an HDHomeRun box tonight as part of a larger Plex install.  I swear to god, it took less than 10 minutes.  I went to the website to search for installation instructions, and the website popped up with a link to my actual device functioning in my home.  I will need a better antenna, though, unless I want to watch a lot of SD CCTV content.

• 2 weeks later...