HDTV Suggestions

tkam

I bought a 55 inch 4K Sony XBR tv on a black friday deal and I'm still pretty stoked every time I watch a good looking show. 

I paid about $760 for it and it looks like it's still just under $800 on Amazon. It was a little more than I wanted to pay but I'm glad I did. 

I still haven't watched any 4k content (can't say why since I have a free 4k movie coming). 

It comes with Android TV so I was able to use my Roku for my old tv which is in the master bedroom.

The remote is pretty clunky but I keep meaning to learn on of the free ios remotes available.

I agree with what Nate said about the prices on 4k tv's. They are the norm these days and I'm kind of amazed that I could get such a big, cool tv on my budget.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR55X800E-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01MSD6HHV/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515003472&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+xbr55x800e

Edited by ironbut
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

After living with one for a week, I would say the Sony OLED beats out the equivalent LG in every way but the operating system. Android is such a clunky piece of shit for a TV...or phone. ?

The weird speakers built into the A9F are excellent for TV speakers. 

• Like 2

I bought a 55" LG OLED about a year ago, maybe less. What a stunning device. Of course with any TV you have to go through all the set up process, because out of the box might not at all be what you want to look at. But usually there is something on the web about most models and what the recommended settings are, and for different ambient light (daylight, artificial light, darkened room etc).

It was the previous year's model. The only difference with the new model was some minor differences in the computing engine - but the OLED panel was the same. Last year's was UKP1,300, this years was UKP3.500. No brainer choice!

Likewise with Sony - there seems to be no doubt that it is better than an LG with the same screen size, but with a big price tag premium.

• Like 2

https://www.rtings.com/  has some thorough reviews and settings they used for calibrating their samples (see if you like the modes they select / recommend, setting values are a guide/starting point, as values will vary by individual unit / panel)

This chap  https://www.youtube.com/user/hdtvtest seems to know his stuff, with his own unique "style"

Edited by Grahame
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, Hopstretch said:

My 2017 LG OLED has developed some nasty screen artefacts. Don't think it's burn-in but am guessing they will tell me it's burn-in and tough luck. :(

Ouch! That's way too fast for TV failure in my book. I bought a 5yr in-home warranty with my Sammy two years ago. Haven't needed it yet.

Oh well, time for a little story.

Are you sitting comfortably?,  then I'll begin.

Bought my OLED on black friday in 2016.

I also purchased 3 Year Black Friday Multi-Device Protection Plan - Total Aggregate Claim Limit ($2000)

Situation eventually resolved, but much too-ing  and fro-ing , including interacting with San Franciso's last TV repair man!

https://hoodline.com/2017/06/art-s-tv-to-become-bilingual-preschool-this-fall

initial chat transcript

ranscript:

script:

[15:59:02] Stephenie joined the conversation

[15:59:02] Thank you for contacting Customer Service.

[15:59:10] Grahame ***: plan was * Year Black Friday Multi-Device Protection Plan - Total Aggregate Claim Limit ($****)

[15:59:27] Stephenie: Hello. My name is Stephenie, and I will be happy to assist you today.

[15:59:36] Grahame ***: Order# ***-*******-*******

[15:59:41] Grahame ***: from amazon ,

[15:59:49] Grahame ***: Ordered on November **, ****

[16:00:22] Grahame ***: can you re-send so I can find plan in dashboard and make claim

[16:00:49] Grahame ***: TV ordered at the same time has developed an issue

[16:01:36] Stephenie: I am happy to assist you regarding this. Unfortunately you are not able to file a claim online but I am happy to assist you in filing the claim.

[16:03:23] Grahame ***: Do you know the plan # so I can enter it in the dashboard?

[16:03:50] Stephenie: I do but your dashboard will not show that information as you are not able to see your plan online due to the kind of plan that it is.

[16:04:07] Grahame ***: aha

[16:05:06] Grahame ***: can you send me a copy of the plan by email, so I know whats covered and how to make a claim?

[16:05:15] Grahame ***: another email said the ASIN was B**M*FALLE

[16:06:42] Stephenie: You may be able to locate your plan here. https://svcplans.assurantsolutions.com/doorbuster-terms-and-conditions

[16:06:57] Grahame ***:

Grahame *** has been connected.

[16:07:23] Stephenie: If you would like to start a claim now I am happy to assist you.

[16:08:37] Grahame ***: I''m just reading the info ,

[16:08:48] Grahame ***: meets the purchase criteria

[16:08:48] Grahame ***: Your Plan must have been purchased between **/**/**** – **/**/****.

[16:09:05] Stephenie: Would you like to file a claim today?

[16:09:10] Grahame ***: To arrange for service, call our Protection Plan Provider at *-***-***-****. The Assurant Black Friday Multi-Device Protection Plan Provider must authorize all repairs and service in advance. If your repair is not satisfactory, please contact us.

[16:09:16] Grahame ***: yes please ,

[16:09:22] Grahame ***: lets get this started

[16:09:30] Stephenie: Wonderful, what is going on with your TV?

[16:10:03] Grahame ***: TV is LG Electronics OLED**B*P Flat **-Inch *K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV (**** Model)

[16:10:11] Grahame ***: Ordered on November **, **** Order# ***-*******-*******

[16:10:30] Grahame ***: The picture is now intermittent

[16:10:47] Grahame ***: when you turn it on , a (perfect) iamge displays briefly

[16:10:54] Grahame ***: then goes black

[16:11:23] Grahame ***: and then the image will display briefly , ( under a second)

[16:11:29] Grahame ***: then black

[16:11:40] Grahame ***: independant of input

[16:12:10] Grahame ***: e.g happens when using the Smart TV features , no external input

[16:12:15] Grahame ***: or any external input

[16:12:43] Grahame ***: TV still outputs audio OK , even when no picture

[16:13:00] Grahame ***: frustrating!

[16:13:15] Stephenie: I am very sorry that is happening when did that start?

[16:13:22] Grahame ***: Just yesterday

[16:13:41] Grahame ***: and your chat opened today.

[16:14:39] Stephenie: Thank you, and what was your purchase price?

[16:15:00] Grahame ***: Item(s) Subtotal: $*,***.** Shipping & Handling: $*.** Total before tax: $*,***.** Estimated tax to be collected: $***.** Grand Total: $*,***.**

[16:16:29] Stephenie: Thank you, and I am seeing your address as, CA ***** and could I have you verify your phone number?

[16:16:41] Grahame ***: address is correct

[16:16:53] Grahame ***: home phone is (***)-***-****

[16:17:07] Grahame ***: Cell/Mobile *** *** ****

[16:17:46] Stephenie: Thank you Grahame , the last thing we will need is for you to send in a copy of your receipt. We need this receipt so that we finish processing you claim. The receipt of the product must include the following: Product make, model, serial number (if possible), day shipped/bought, and purchase price.

[16:17:59] Stephenie: You can email us your order confirmation, shipment confirmation, or a screenshot of the order details page. You can email us your receipt for the product to: [email protected]. Please make sure to write "Amazon ********" in the subject line of your email. We will send you an email within *-* business days notifying you that we received it and what the next steps of your claim are.

[16:18:33] Grahame ***: device details

[16:18:34] Grahame ***:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/*p**a*h*AXarCJD** 

[16:18:58] Stephenie: That does need to be emailed in to complete the claim.

[16:19:06] Grahame ***:

Grahame *** has been disconnected.

And this is my call log / tracking of the whole saga 

including the "fun" part when RW went incommunicado  with the TV

only to reappear saying "I'm back from vacation"  ( when prompted) as if nothing was wrong ...

2016-11-27 Purchased TV 

2016-11-27 Purchased Policy - 

2019-04-21 TV Developed fault

2019-04-22 Fault Reported - Chat - Apr 22 2019 3:59:19:937PM - Stephenie R

Visit Scheduled

2019-04-26 Visit Occurs

2019-05-03 Pictures of TV Sent

2019-05-08 Text Chat with Assurant - Said would be escalated

2019-05-13 Text Chat with Assurant - May 13 2019 3:32:14:663PM Christel P

Text Chat with Assurant

2019-05-16 Voice mail message left by Harriet Assurant Solutions 

Claim authorized, Service provider to order parts + repair,

2019-05-20 Left message for Harriet Bird (confirming status, what next?)

2019-05-22 Call from Richard Wong (Arts TV) wanting to pick up TV on 23rd between 11-12

2019-05-23 Richard Wong picks up TV on 23rd  between 11-12. Parts due 30th?

2019-05-30 Nothing Happens

2019-06-03 Call from Harriet Bird () asking for status

2019-06-04 Called Harriet @9:40: She tried to contact RW for status,give him a day to reply

2019-06-07 Texted RQ @ 09:06 asking for status

2019-06-07 Call from Harriet @ 10:10 asking for callback on status

2019-06-07 Called Harriet missed harriet, left voicemail

2019-06-10 Called Harriet, informed no contact with RW from either of us.

2019-06-10 Texted and Called RW. No Response. Voice Mail boxes Full,

2019-06-12 Called RW. picked up, back from vacation, arranged return 06-14

2019-06-13 Called Harriet, informed her of the situation

2019-06-14 RW Delivered repaired TV. Works. All is well.

2019-06-14 Left Message with Harriet to inform her of the situation.

I wish you well !

• Confused 1

I have actually replaced all my LG OLEDs now with Sony's.  I got what appeared to be darker areas along thin lines in the middle of the screen on two.  As they all seem to use the same panels as the Sony, I have to assume it might be assembly quality. 

I hate the shitty operating system on the Sony but the picture is much better and so far no issues on any of them.  Whatever Sony does with the picture seems to be better for me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VPI said:

I have actually replaced all my LG OLEDs now with Sony's.  I got what appeared to be darker areas along thin lines in the middle of the screen on two.  As they all seem to use the same panels as the Sony, I have to assume it might be assembly quality. 

I hate the shitty operating system on the Sony but the picture is much better and so far no issues on any of them.  Whatever Sony does with the picture seems to be better for me.

Yeah if I get the kiss off from LG I will likely do the same. The A9G looks good and comes in a 77".

Easily, the worst thing about the Sony is the operating system, especially if you like to do Netflix, etc.  All of mine are so full of garbage Android shit that you can not even add the apps for the other services.  Had to go through and delete a ton of android shit just to add Disney+ a couple of weeks ago. 

I like the advanced screen/sound setup options in the Sony more than the LG as it allows for pretty nice setup of the TV,  Also, the weird speakers through the screen thing with some of the Sony models actually sound dramatically better than any TV I have ever owned.  Never even turn the HT Martin Logan speakers on anymore.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So are all y'all now on the Sony bandwagon? I was thinking about getting an LG OLED in the near future after all the recs here but sounds like some of you have had problems with them? And Jeff, didn't you just buy 3 LGs when you were outfitting the new abode? And you got rid of all 3 of those?

Android doesn't sound appealing, but I would prefer something reliable. Still using my 42" Panasonic plasma, which is working great (once I fixed the little PSU daughterboards, which wasn't too difficult).

We just bought a 65” LG (SM8600PUA) at BestBuy to replace the 50” Vizio in our bedroom and we both like it a lot. My strategy is to buy a (not super expensive) TV that has a good interface (We have a Samsung downstairs and the LG Upstairs and I like both of the interfaces with a slight nod to the LG) and hope it lasts for about 3 years. At that point technology has run way past it and if it still works that’s gravy but I will probably replace it. The Samsung is due next Christmas. As a bonus, this was the easiest SmartTV I have ever set up.

Edited by morphsci

• 2 weeks later...

My 65" Sharp Aquos looks to be on its last leg. It was one of the first LED-backlit models that came out. I got more than 8 years out of it which is better than what I got from my previous Mitsubishi and Pioneer combined so I am not too disappointed.

Now the question is if to spend the big bucks on an OLED TV?

My rule of thumb for TV goes along with the Wall Street philosophy -  the next one needs to be bigger than the current one (well, at least no smaller) ?

A 65" OLED costs more than twice that of an equivalent LED-backlit from the same manufacturer. I love the beautiful picture of an OLED TV but do worry about the burn-in and longevity issues.

I love to hear your thoughts/experience especially from those who own or have owned OLED TVs. Thanks!

Edited by mwl168

Go back through the thread.  There's actually been some recent discussion of exactly that, like within the last couple of pages.

I would also add -- how old are your eyes?  My eyes have been deteriorating something awful lately.  Just a few years ago, I was craving as many pixels as I could afford, but now I'm perfectly happy with 1080.  I can't really see the difference.

My eyes are fine for things that are more than 8 feet or so away (knock on woods). Not what they used to be but when I watch those OLED TVs in the store I can still appreciate  what sets them apart from the other TVs.

I have been keeping an eye on this thread and seems like a few fellow casers have bought OLED TV back in 2017 and at least a couple had already reported issues. Hence my inquiry for owners experience, etc..

I own and like LG products but was always a Sony loyal back in the CRT TV days. This adds to my dilemma as the Sony OLED seems to be a fair bit more expensive than the comparable LG models. 

On 1/12/2020 at 1:17 PM, mwl168 said:

My eyes are fine for things that are more than 8 feet or so away (knock on woods). Not what they used to be but when I watch those OLED TVs in the store I can still appreciate  what sets them apart from the other TVs.

I have been keeping an eye on this thread and seems like a few fellow casers have bought OLED TV back in 2017 and at least a couple had already reported issues. Hence my inquiry for owners experience, etc..

I own and like LG products but was always a Sony loyal back in the CRT TV days. This adds to my dilemma as the Sony OLED seems to be a fair bit more expensive than the comparable LG models. 

Most of us are all going to be sample size of one, so you might be better off checking for reliability rankings from something like Consumer Reports.

I've absolutely loved my 2017 model c7 with my only regret being getting the smaller 55" size. Can't speak for the other HC'ers though and whether their dissatisfaction was due to quality control issues, a case of upgrade-itis, or something else.

• Like 1