HDTV Suggestions

tkam

5 hours ago, Hopstretch said:

Need to call it because the rest of the install will happen in the meantime and speaker placement depends on the dimensions of the set.

Going with ribbon tweeter Monitor Audio in-wall LCRs and two Triad in-wall subs. Will look something like this ...

593ce216ccdf3_ScreenShot2017-06-11at7_20_37AM.thumb.png.205df5f4b434447f2033bd8c573439ab.png

Surround channels will go back to the existing in-ceiling speakers, which isn't ideal but does keep everything clean in what is more a living space than a dedicated media room.

Should be pretty sweet. 

B)

I'm not that familiar with Monitor Audio, but they've always reviewed well.  Sounds sweet.

How far away from the television will you typically be sitting?  There are calculators for determining the best size screen for a distance.

9 hours ago, Grahame said:

65 lg for now then upgrade to the 75 when available, and you have a spare 65 for another room ...

This is what I was going to suggest last night, but was too inebriated to remember to type it.

Get the 75 when released, and build the setup with that in mind. Spend a few months with the 65 being slightly "not right" but like Adam said, the 75" has 33% more screen area, and will definitely be worth it. 65" is a nice bedroom/bathroom TV size, or a good size to use with in the bike room while you're on the Peloton.

Makes perfect sense.

**BRENT**

My 2c Stretch, similar to Brent and the G-man, buy a decent TV you know you can use somewhere else in the house for now and have the LG ordered so it can be installed as soon as it's available.  I've seen places online that say it isn't going to be back in stock until late August (see Dell for example) so make sure the spare is something worth buying since you're likely to be living with it for a while.  

I'm stuck in a similar, but different boat.  Basically most of the TV's that replaced the 2016 versions that I'm interested in are way more expensive with not much (if any) real improvements.  And most in the price range (65" sub $2k) seem to suffer from pretty catastrophic viewing angle issues.  The best bet right now is probably the Vizio P series or a refurb M-series from last year for stupid cheap (Wallyworld has them for $599 or something close).  #firstworldproblems

I purchased the 55" B6 for Julie recently for $1999 from best buy and got a $500 LG sound bar/sub for $250 more. Talked them into throwing in a free LG universal remote as well.  The b6 keeps up going back and forth to that price at best buy - I'd be happy to facilitate a sale if needed - I keep getting random coupons in the email ever since I got the tv. Floor model came with a full warranty for $1600 but I couldn't do it. It was my first "big" purchase so wanted it to be a new tv. 

Edited by crappyjones123

"

I purchased a LG OLED65C6P for $2299 (no charge for freight) 5-17-17 at a Memorial day sale. The next morning I received a call from Steven to call him at 800-992-2237 ext 272. He told me that I had ordered an European model and that the USA model is $2999. I said, "No, I did not order a European model and that I am not going to pay $2999." 

I found the advertisement and it was still current on the internet for $2999 and listed two specs for it that were both USA Specs. I called back up and asked for the manager. I said that I am looking at the ad and it is a US model and I want it for $2299. I was told that the best I could do was $2499. I said, "No." I want the one they are advertising right now. They finally conceded and said that it will be $2299 but they are not delivering it free but will charge $290 due to insurance on the delivery. I said, "No," and said, "I will do all in my power to expose Abe's of Maine as a dishonorable company." My receipt is copied off the screen at the end of the sale. I did not see a way to print it. I am sure now that that was on purpose on the part of Abe's."

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/abes-of-maine.html

I looked at those websites too because they had the 55" b6 for an absurd price of $1200. The potential headache wasn't worth it to me. Buyer beware. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, crappyjones123 said:

I looked at those websites too because they had the 55" b6 for an absurd price of $1200. The potential headache wasn't worth it to me. Buyer beware. 

Oh, Brent does not worry himself about that when he is spending other peoples' money. :P

• Like 1

Then do something like this. Was thinking Abe's was OK, but that's coming from years and years ago when it seems like it wasn't shady.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10209356-65-lg-oled-tv-4k-curved-3d-oled65c6p-2400-free-shipping-serviceexpressnow

2400$ on ebay, and there are 100$ or 8% codes going around,, and if you look in comments from this one or other ones, there will be ways of getting CC price protection, and you'll see talk of how warranty issues aren't an issue. Or just pay 3 grand. Whatever.

**BRENT**

Wife and I were listening to the speaker rig yesterday and she randomly said "yeah, I think we need a TV down here." This is a basement capable of going pitch black in an instant any hour of the day and definitely large enough to support something bigger than the old 50" Panasonic plasma in the living room. Both luxuries I'm not used to. And my wallet won't be, either.

Probably wait until closer to end of year. 65" LG B6 that Brent mentioned looks dope. 

I'll probably end up adding a 4K player but I'm not gonna double dip on much that I've already bought in regular blu ray. Probably around 400 now, I suppose I'd double-dip on some action, sci-fi, and horror stuff but ugh. Too much time and money invested already.

• Like 2

Wife and I were listening to the speaker rig yesterday and she randomly said "yeah, I think we need a TV down here." This is a basement capable of going pitch black in an instant any hour of the day and definitely large enough to support something bigger than the old 50" Panasonic plasma in the living room. Both luxuries I'm not used to. And my wallet won't be, either.
Probably wait until closer to end of year. 65" LG B6 that Brent mentioned looks dope. 
I'll probably end up adding a 4K player but I'm not gonna double dip on much that I've already bought in regular blu ray. Probably around 400 now, I suppose I'd double-dip on some action, sci-fi, and horror stuff but ugh. Too much time and money invested already.

Excellent!

Have you thought about one of the gaming systems as a 4k BD player, or going to go Oppo and use that for spinny discs too?

**BRENT**

You read my mind, biscuit brother. I was just looking at the PS4 Pro but I haven't played games since college. I suspect our use will be 100% streaming TV and spinning movies. Oppo looking good as always, I definitely do not need the extra shit in the 205. 

Already thinking too much about how I'd want to connect the audio stuff...

Edited by Aura
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, MexicanDragon said:

Abe's of Maine has it for 2299, then you do price protection via credit card with something like Joe's AV.

There are ways of doing this.

Also, LG seems to be good with warranties from reputable but not quite authorized dealers.

**BRENT**

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Good lord NO!  Abe's has been a train wreck for as long as I can remember.  I think the right choice at this point is to get something that'll work for the first year or so and upgrade when budget permits.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

both joe's av and abes of maine are listed on LG's website as non-authorized. If you buy from them and there is a warranty issue you are out of luck.

abt gave me a healthy discount in the way of an immediately useable cash card for $500, and the tv is the best thing I have seen ever. although due to the shiny front screen I had to rearrange all the track lighting to get rid of reflections.

and then there is this

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/23/sharp-oled-tv-rumor/

so in about 2 years there will be oled competition.

Edited by kevin gilmore
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...