tkam

HDTV Suggestions

Meanwhile ...

Interesting take on the limitations.

and the whole arbitrary technical limitations because: deal reasons is getting tiresome.

Nice pad though.

Despite Grahame's relentless negativity, I hooked up the 4K Apple TV tonight and now my screensavers look way better.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My new 4k Amazon Fire TV isn't shipping before the end of the month but I am looking forward to it. 

I have a $2000 allowance from Julie for toys for the new place with a few restrictions. Speakers need to be in wall/in ceiling. So far I've narrowed my search down to the new elac in wall versions of the B6 for the left and right channel, an in wall center and considering the new angles in ceiling speakers for dolby atmos.  We do not intend on purchasing bluray discs or a player. 100% streaming on Hulu/netflix/amazon prime. Is the atmos in ceiling worth the $500 it would cost? There's not a whole lot of media that has those channels NOW but that seems to be the direction things are going in. The place is also completely empty while we re do the tile/paint etc so it's probably the only time this is going to happen. Would you all recommend the in ceiling angled speakers or save the 500 and put it towards a better receiver? I've never owned one so don't know if the room correction features actually do work or if they are just marketing lingo. The wall things are going on is 8' wide but due to the placement of the metal studs in the wall, there is only a few inches worth of wiggle room for the tv to be mounted and the speakers to be placed. I do have to take the wall down to put in some horizontal wood beams so the wall mount for the tv is not just hung on the drywall with toggle bolts. I've already planned conduits for speaker cables, hdmi cables, cat 6, random av cables etc. Anything else I should be aware of or plan ahead for while I have the wall open to put in the wood beams? I do have some soundproofing underlayment available from redoing the floors - would there be any benefit to adding this towards the attic on the walls the speakers are going in to prevent the sound from going into the attic/to other rooms? 

CJ,

If the wall is already made of wood you don't need blocking to support the TV.  Just use a stud finder (cue Steve) and go from there.  Every wall mount I've seen allows for the variable spacing of wall studs.  As far as in-wall/ceiling is concerned I wouldn't worry about Atmos but I'd make sure you've got full 7.1/2 if you can.  Wiring is a huge pain, but worth the effort if you can.  My rather meager setup in the new living room (Polk Audio in-wall and ceiling, Yamaha receiver) is totally adequate as far as my expectations go.  Sir Stretchy also did in-wall in his new digs but opted to go big L/R and simulated center based on the advice of folks likely a lot smarter than me.

Lastly, yes, definitely use boxes for the speakers.  Or at least I did based on my research.