HDTV Suggestions

tkam

I'm thinking of picking this up to use as a monitor in my music room and to use to watch movies and tv shows I download. Not sure if I will bother with a BR player.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11600818&whse=BC&topnav=

The other option is to spend about another $80 and get the 1080p version. I guess it makes sense to pay the extra money so I have BR as an option.

• 2 weeks later...

Gang, I'm seriously in the market for a 55-inch plasma for my living room. I've been holding off for the longest time but I'm really fed up with having to move my couch forward everytime I want to play Xbox 360/PS3 since I only have a 37-inch set right now.

Any opinions here on the Panasonic GT30? I was waiting for the VT30 to come out but now that it has, I'm having second thoughts at it is around $1K more than the GT30. I figure I can either save the extra $ or spend it on a receiver and a wall mount. Also, I recall someone getting a ST30 here a few weeks ago - was that you Dinny? Thoughts?

Thanks!

I was really impressed by the 55ST30, even though I ended up with the 50". I'd think you'd be happy with the 55. Side-by-side, the 50GT30 looked just a bit better than the 50ST30, but when I bought, the ST30 was $300+ cheaper. All that said, the GT series is a physically nicer set. It's much thinner and looks better, although it has kind of a silver bezel that could be annoying. The GT is THX certified, whereas the ST is not. And I think the GT has one more HDMI port, in addition to some other bells and whistles. It's a nice TV; however it just wasn't worth the price premium to me. As that gap closes, it becomes a tossup.

Suggestion: head over to High Def Junkies, they have a ton of good info: http://www.highdefjunkies.com/showthread.php?9401-Official-Panasonic-GT30-Thread-Including-a-Review-and-Report

Thanks for the feedback Dinny; I've had the same basic observations as you (I briefly demoed it on Satuday); the GT is nicer physically and while it has that silver lining in the bezel, it didn't end up annoying me. I've been checking out HD Junkies as well - they seem to like the Panny plasmas overall.

Sony BDP-S570

This is the bluray player I have. It's pretty good, does sacd, and has analog outs, so your receiver doesn't have to support the whiz bang audio, it's in the bluray. It also has wireless and does netflix and amazon streaming. I've been pretty happy with it.

Nice! That's the same Bluray player that my wife and kids gave me last Xmas but I didn't know it did 3D. I just looked at it and it is definitely that model, and says 3D on the front sticker. We also have the PS3 in the basement theater, so now all we need are a couple of 3D TV's, someday...

The picture is nice on our 42" Sony HDTV, and it works well with Netflix over wifi. When we first set it up we couldn't add shows to the instant queue, but there's been a software update automatically installed not too long ago that added that and more to the Netflix player. We use digital audio out into our AVR, so I don't know if the analog output sounds good or not. Still pretty happy with it, and I think the wife only spent like $160 on it at Best Buy.