HDTV Suggestions

tkam

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking to get a 42-46 inch 1080p. Nothing fancy, best if under $750. I will most likely get it through Amazon.

I saw recommendations for TVs in this range/specs in this thread around Oct-Nov of '10, but I think those are already not available.

Could you guys recommend a few TVs?

We are back in the US after 2 years, 4 months overseas!

Edited by CD44hi

We are looking to get a 42-46 inch 1080p. Nothing fancy, best if under $750. I will most likely get it through Amazon.

I saw recommendations for TVs in this range/specs in this thread around Oct-Nov of '10, but I think those are already not available.

Could you guys recommend a few TVs?

We are back in the US after 2 years, 4 months overseas!

I like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P46S30-46-Inch-Plasma/dp/B004M8SBGG $763.38

Read the reviews to get an idea of what it has over older plasmas. Don't discount the DLNA and webapp features like netflix built in too.

Now I need to figure out the audio. Floor standers are not going to cut it. I may need to go the soundbar route. Or maybe get an A/V receiver and do (small) 3.1 until I can get a man cave.

Underrated Jamo C603 Speakers. I bought a pair in June of 2009 and really like them. I was amazed that with an old receiver they sounded great, and when connected to my bigrig system they surprised me with some great sound. Not totally refined or anything, but great for their price range. I can't imagine a better deal for $300 speakers.

Underrated Jamo C603 Speakers. I bought a pair in June of 2009 and really like them. I was amazed that with an old receiver they sounded great, and when connected to my bigrig system they surprised me with some great sound. Not totally refined or anything, but great for their price range. I can't imagine a better deal for $300 speakers.

EDIT - I need budget speakers for my 40 watt vintage Marantz, and I like Jamo. I have their 2-way in-wall speakers in my family room that sound pretty good, so these might suit me as well.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

These sound worlds better with the grilles off. The grilles are this strange plastic mesh with grille cloth over the top. I'm sure they were trying to make them safer for the speaker drivers within. Remove them for sure.

My first pair of Jamos were the CS5 self-powered computer speakers. I wish they still made these. Bi-amped two-way speakers with 1/8" headphone output. Except that the volume pot is scratchy and needs replacing (definitely doing that this fall), mine are still kick-ass.

These sound worlds better with the grilles off. The grilles are this strange plastic mesh with grille cloth over the top. I'm sure they were trying to make them safer for the speaker drivers within. Remove them for sure.

My first pair of Jamos were the CS5 self-powered computer speakers. I wish they still made these. Bi-amped two-way speakers with 1/8" headphone output. Except that the volume pot is scratchy and needs replacing (definitely doing that this fall), mine are still kick-ass.

I'll put them at the top of my short list. Thanks.

I like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P46S30-46-Inch-Plasma/dp/B004M8SBGG $763.38

Read the reviews to get an idea of what it has over older plasmas. Don't discount the DLNA and webapp features like netflix built in too.

Thanks for the recommendation. One of the reviews said it isn't great for daylight viewing, that wouldn't be good in our case. Do plasma TVs (all?) suffer from this to some extent? How about LED-based ones?

Any alternatives would be greatly appreciated! I am planning on ordering in a few days.

Thanks

Most complaints about tvs are like audiophiles complaining about their gear. Don't stress it, modern plasma tvs all look great.

These are wise words. I am very happy with my 50ST30 and likely would have been happy with a "lesser" model. I just wish these things didn't skimp on the HDMI inputs.

• 1 month later...

We got a LG 47LW5700 which I think is Costco's version of the 5600. It's too bad they had nothing between 47" and 55". It seems nice, the horizontal viewing angle isn't too bad. The 3D vertical viewing angle isn't good, but why would you watch TV/movies not at eye level anyway. Passive 3D ftw.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very happy with my 50ST30 and likely would have been happy with a "lesser" model.

This is good info for me. Thanks Monkey.

I'm currently stressin over the differences. Saw the VT and GT yesterday. But they were in completely different parts of the store I was at, so it was pretty difficult to see differences. That didn't help. (Well, that and the over-egoed salesman. His name should have been Dick.) This tv will be in our living room, but not really there for movies and such. It looks like the VT is really hotrodded for movie playback with all top-end features, "cinematic playback", "infinite black", etc. So maybe the GT will be where I land.

• 4 months later...

So you did such a great job of recommending an AV Pre/pro that I am going to ask for an HDTV recommendation. I want to replace the bedroom television. Currently it is a 32" 720p JVC. The new one should be a minimum of 37" with a max of 40something. Needs to do 1080p and a minimum of two HDMI inputs. All else is up in the air.