HDTV Suggestions

tkam

http://www.amazon.co...23368052&sr=1-8

or

http://www.amazon.co...23368052&sr=1-6

I would get the 3D version even if you are not going to use 3D because it is the latest tech, has the neoplasma and infinite black 2 whatchamacallit, Vierra connect, and comes with the wireless LAN deal included. The S30 non-3D would be my other choice.

I also think that plasma is better for the bedroom than LCD or LED because it doesn't have as harsh a glare and is easier on the eyes. Just my personal preference.

Edited by Voltron

how about the new Sony Playstation 3d HD Display?...

it's glossy & doesn't come w/a remote (Harmony?)...but even I have to admit that the dual full screen 3d feature is pretty neat:)...

otherwise, see if you can bump it to a 47" LCD or 50" plasma...a lot of the top features aren't available on smaller sets...

how about the new Sony Playstation 3d HD Display?...

it's glossy & doesn't come w/a remote (Harmony?)...but even I have to admit that the dual full screen 3d feature is pretty neat:)...

otherwise, see if you can bump it to a 47" LCD or 50" plasma...a lot of the top features aren't available on smaller sets...

The Sony Playstation TV is 24" isn't it?

Bedroom-wise I'd go for an LED LCD due to the LCD weaknesses of glare and viewing angle not being as much of a problem in that environment. They're also more competitively priced and power consumption is significantly lower, which has the added benefit of a lack of cooling fans making background noise during quiet listening.

PQ wise, especially with 3D, I can vouch for the new Panny's after picking up a 55vt30 this year.

Sort of in this same boat myself this Christmas. Looking for a high end TV for a childhood buddy of mine who is in pretty bad shape these days.

He suffered a major brain aneurism almost 14 years ago, and was lucky to survive it. Took him 6 weeks to come out of the coma, and he's been paralyzed from the waist down and on the left side of his upper body ever since. He's atrophied quite a bit in recent years, especially after his wife left him. Until then, he was at least attempting to do physical therapy, but in reality everyone always knew that he would never walk again.

Apparently, he wasn't so innocent in his marriage back when he was physically able, so I don't blame her for ultimately leaving him. She has since remarried, and had a child. He, in the meantime, moved in with his mom and step dad. Moved into their living room to be exact. He's got a full-time care taker who keeps him company and his mom does what she can to help him and to keep his spirits up, although she's 70 now, so it's really a tough situation all around.

Anyway, his 10+ year-old TV, which he brought with him when he moved in, has been on the fritz for some time now. It's a 52" boxy looking thing that never had much of a picture, even in it's better days. So I've been debating what to get him, and have ruled out plasmas because he'll have the silly thing on all day and night. There is no way to control the room lighting. It's a huge room with several angles, cut outs, and big windows. He's pretty much located in Grand Central of their home, if they tried to control the lighting for him, they would all be living in dark. His mom is retired and at home, whereas his step-dad is 10 years younger and still working.

The LED LCD variety seem to be much better for day time viewing and when you can't control the room lighting. I've settled in on the Sony XBR-55HX929. http://tv.toptenrevi...929-review.html

Although I haven't had the chance to view it myself, my mom and sister have done a lot of legwork for me and say that it really does look substantially better than anything else out there. They've looked at dozens of TV's and agree with me (based about what I've learned just by reading reviews) that this is the best thing out there right now.

It'll cost $2,700, but I'll get over that. My sister and her husband want to get him some kind of Yamaha "sound bar" thingie which apparently simulates a 7.1 surround sound, and I don't know enough about it or have the energy to fight them about it. Besides, I really can't imagine that they would want a bunch of speakers positioned all over the place in there. My mom is going to buy a stand for the TV after working with his mom in terms of what will work best. I'm heading home the day after Christmas and will be bringing my Oppo BDP-83 for him as well since I don't use it anymore since upgrading to the 95.

This kid really has it rough, but I've never, ever, ever, heard him utter a word of complaint. He's still 90% of what he ever was mentally, so he's always fun to visit with, plus he's still a big sports fan and I can't ever argue with that. He deserves the best, and unfortunately cannot afford it himself, nor can his parents. They just had to buy a very expensive hospital bed, etc., so it's the least I can do. It could just as easily be me sitting there all day, every day.

Edited by Wmcmanus

Planning to get him one of these as well (the "standard" model for $60): http://tv.toptenrevi...929-review.html

Don't really know anything about this issue, except that you ought to at least do something to provide some backlighting to help reduce eye strain. Given that he watches TV pretty much all waking hours (or at least has it on in the background), I figured this would be important for his night time viewing.

I'm hoping there will be a way to diffuse this lighting from behind the TV as well, because I don't want it to be blinding everyone else in the house when they walk around back there. The TV itself will be sort of in the middle of a very large room.

Edited by Wmcmanus

It's a very nice gesture, Wayne.

He's like a brother to me, and in 14 years I've never really done anything substantial like this for him. He's been very emotional in recent years, and especially this year. His mom told my mom (they've been best friends for 50 years) that he's reverting back to childhood in terms of his emotions. He recently told her, "Nobody loves me anymore..." like you might expect to hear from a 12 year-old who is going through a crisis. It really sucks because he was one of these guys who had it all. College educated, very well employed, happily married, and doing triathlons. He would do 500 situps and 500 pushups every morning before doing a 20k bike ride. But most of all, he had more friends than anyone I know. Where they've all gone now is beyond me.

A good friend of mine had an aneurism on her 39th birthday, almost 10 years ago. She required surgery and that probably did a fair amount of the brain damage she suffered. She also has partial paralysis on her left side and significant atrophy issues. She has never recovered her mental capacity, and is very limited in terms of speech and comprehension, etc. Her amazing husband has stuck with her the whole time, but it is hard as a friend because she is not local and it is hit or miss whether she can really communicate at all.

He's like a brother to me, and in 14 years I've never really done anything substantial like this for him. He's been very emotional in recent years, and especially this year. His mom told my mom (they've been best friends for 50 years) that he's reverting back to childhood in terms of his emotions. He recently told her, "Nobody loves me anymore..." like you might expect to hear from a 12 year-old who is going through a crisis. It really sucks because he was one of these guys who had it all. College educated, very well employed, happily married, and doing triathlons. He would do 500 situps and 500 pushups every morning before doing a 20k bike ride. But most of all, he had more friends than anyone I know. Where they've all gone now is beyond me.

Damn. I've seen that happen before after years of isolation due to disability, it must be very tough to see a friend go through that. Your friendship must mean a lot to him.

Edited by anetode