Jump to content

HDTV Suggestions


tkam
 Share

Recommended Posts

Nice Nate. We'll do something similar, I'm sure. Plan is to have just the flat panel and a master remote in the room and everything else in or behind the wall. Other side is a stairwell so there's lots of void space. Sound will be just L & R mains set up for a phantom center, as once the TV gets over a certain size that gives you a better image (particularly for dialogue) than using a dedicated center channel above or below the screen. Will use the existing in-ceiling speakers for surrounds and one (or two) in-wall subs for bass. Should sound pretty good and getting all the gear out of sight garners a high Wife Acceptance Factor that helps with budget approval! 

What sets are you looking at?

 

 

Edited by Hopstretch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm getting ball-achingly close to pulling the trigger on a TV.  Not sure what you're planning for a front end, Stretch, and where, but for me I ended up using a pair of these to route cables out of sight.  
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q7F030/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
51cAVWXNkfL._SY355_.jpg


These work really well too, if you like using the Keystone jacks:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0012DMBGA/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't know if this will help, Nate or Stretch, but every year Value Electronics in New York conducts (to my knowledge) the most in-depth comparison between all the big brands' top sets. Apparently they get some of the most-renowned calibrators in the business involved and spend days/weeks getting analysis of each model. 

These were the 2016 results - I'd guess they'll be doing the 2017 comparison in the next 2-3 months. I wonder if LG is still king, I haven't paid enough attention to know whether or not other brands are putting effort into OLED like they have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, n_maher said:

I'm getting ball-achingly close to pulling the trigger on a TV.  Not sure what you're planning for a front end, Stretch, and where, but for me I ended up using a pair of these to route cables out of sight.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q7F030/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51cAVWXNkfL._SY355_.jpg

What you need to do is find the last 60" Samsung Plasma, at a Sears Outlet 150 miles away, and buy it for 10% of retail.  If you can't do that, I'd go with whatever Stretch buys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Hopstretch said:

What sets are you looking at?

Great question.  A few months ago the choice was easy.  The outgoing Sammy was both reasonably priced (~$1300 for 65") and well reviewed.  This year's model is neither of those, so far anyway.  The Sony XBR (which comes in second in Brian's link) is a front runner but it's a bit more than I'd like to spend at this point.  

55 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

What you need to do is find the last 60" Samsung Plasma, at a Sears Outlet 150 miles away, and buy it for 10% of retail.  If you can't do that, I'd go with whatever Stretch buys.

That could work, if such a thing exists.  Otherwise I can guarantee that I can hang with Sir Stretchy Stretch is turns of television opulence. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/1/2017 at 10:15 AM, kevin gilmore said:

I just realized that my sharp 65 inch will be 10 years old in august. And there are visible streaking and non-uniformities.

So its time to replace it.

I was a huge fan of the Sharp Aquos line back in the mid to late 2000's after I found that my dear Sony's went to chit more than on one purchase (their picture quality and build quality was very good for me back in the 80's-90's.  I found a year or two ago now that the Sharp's are serious crap.  Unfortunate.  New tech and new plant equal low price which doubles into piss poor IMO.  Shame as I had a few Aquos last me a good long while with nice pic and construction quality.

HS

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HemiSam said:

I was a huge fan of the Sharp Aquos line back in the mid to late 2000's after I found that my dear Sony's went to chit more than on one purchase (their picture quality and build quality was very good for me back in the 80's-90's.  I found a year or two ago now that the Sharp's are serious crap.  Unfortunate.  New tech and new plant equal low price which doubles into piss poor IMO.  Shame as I had a few Aquos last me a good long while with nice pic and construction quality.

HS

Interesting -- I was a fan of the Aquos from the same time period, didn't realize the more recent ones were crap.  That's too bad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2017 at 4:17 PM, Dusty Chalk said:

Interesting -- I was a fan of the Aquos from the same time period, didn't realize the more recent ones were crap.  That's too bad.

Real shame, DC.  Mine lasted a good long while, but the new ones will make you tear up...

HS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bit of a bummer, delivery of the 77" LG OLEDs has been pushed back into July and could slip further. Likely having yield issues in production, my AV guy says. Choices are -- wait it out, get a 75" Samsung QLED or (shudder) drop down to the 65" LG, which is not in short supply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Need to call it because the rest of the install will happen in the meantime and speaker placement depends on the dimensions of the set.

Going with ribbon tweeter Monitor Audio in-wall LCRs and two Triad in-wall subs. Will look something like this ...

593ce216ccdf3_ScreenShot2017-06-11at7_20_37AM.thumb.png.205df5f4b434447f2033bd8c573439ab.png

Surround channels will go back to the existing in-ceiling speakers, which isn't ideal but does keep everything clean in what is more a living space than a dedicated media room.

Should be pretty sweet. 

B)

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...