HDTV Suggestions

tkam

I have purchased two 3D TVs but hardly ever use the 3D capabilities. Comcast has quite a bit of 3D content but the 3D TVs are in my bedroom and guest bedroom so I never bother with the glasses. The picture quality does seem to be much better than on the non 3D TV in my living room so it might just be that they are worth it for the occasional ESPN 3D.

It's kind of weird being a non-videophile doing this research. Unlike audio gear, I now don't feel like I care about that last 10%. Or do I? If I don't care about spasm-inducing 3D maybe I should get the G25?

G25 is a fine choice, though I would wait for prices to come down a little. They were way up during the holidays. I don't care much about broadcast 3D content, but I have enjoyed movies in 3D so I'd like to see the tech catch on.

VT30 will be the new Panasonic plasma flagship. Available spring 2011, I think. They are increasing at least some screen sizes so that the 54" will be 55" and the 58" will now be 60". Viera Connect service with tablet controllers and app store seems pretty cool.

Looks like the VT30 has "Infinite Black Pro 2." How much more infinitely black can something get?

Take note: the fırst few paragraphs of that article represent some of the worst writing I've ever seen in the NYT.

"To get the best picture quality from your 1080p-capable HDTV, you need to watch content emanating from a Blu-ray disc; only Blu-ray can deliver the 1080p resolution that your TV can potentially display. One day there may be an even higher high definition standard, but you’ll need a new TV to see it. The University of Southern California’s Entertainment Technology Center, for example, has been experimenting with “super” high definition displays, with up to four times the resolution of today’s sets. But until that day comes, is there anything we can do to improve the existing Blu-ray standard?

Paul Darbee, a co-founder of the company that created the universal remote control, believes there is."

VT30 will be the new Panasonic plasma flagship. Available spring 2011, I think.

I read over the weekend that the initial sets will begin release in Feb, starting with smaller screens.

Looks like the VT30 has "Infinite Black Pro 2." How much more infinitely black can something get?

I hear the problem is that infinity collapses to a moar discernable number like 65536.

So, I have a few questions. I've pretty much decided on the Samsung 46" LED 120 Hz models, but haven't nailed down the exact revision yet. Any recommendation on these?

My second question, is I have a ~50" wide by 2' or so deep alcove that I want to place the TV. Other than restricted viewing angle, which wouldn't be a huge issue, any cons for recessing the TV back into the niche? I would think this would be a benefit in terms of limiting the amount of light that can hit the glass and cause glare and what not.

Heat. My 65 inch sharp is about 700 watts... Would expect the 46 to be 200 to 300 watts.

• 4 weeks later...

doesn't come anywhere near my Kuro...& i'm not meaning to be a snob...when there's anything that's substantially better than the Kuro i'll be eager to buy it...

only other tv in the running when i got mine was the samsung 8500...some people don't like the ultra-realism the high refresh rates create...it always looks like a movie or commercial that's being shot...they call it the soap opera effect which is a term i don't like because there is no vaseline on the lens look...

lcd tech is actually going backwards in an attempt to get slimmer & slimmer...edge lit is garbage...you want full array local dimming led with an ips panel...so, basically, you're stuck with the highest end model lg or going back to plasma...panny's the best, samsung is close behind...problem is neither is anywhere near a Kuro (& that's quantifiable by measuring black level) & the panny has the built in black level rise still...so it's only going to get worse over time...

it is a good time to buy...even better in a couple months...& if anyone asks me (& they often do) i suggest viewing the full array led backlit lcds like the lg or vizio...if they don't like 'em, then i suggest looking at plasmas with one pane of glass (AR filter built in)...bad time to get into 3d so i advise them against that...

Edited by emelius