Static electricity and my new peg legs

CherryBomb

My listening room has new carpet in it, and frequently when I touch my headphone equipment I give it a good shock of static electricity. Do other folks have this problem, and if so, what do you do about it? Buy a metal bar and touch it before touching the equipment? Rubber mat? Chop off legs and replace with peg legs?

PegLegBates.jpg

If Al's electronics are not getting zapped in the foggy part of SF where he lives, I think you're 100% safe with a humidifier in SLC as long as it's not exhausting water droplets directly into your rig.

You prompted me to do a little reading up on this myself - we had a couple of very dry weeks recently, and may have some more - and besides humidifying, apparently some antistatic treatments are effective on new carpets. Including, by some reports, rubbing a laundry fabric softener/antistatic sheet on the carpet.

Not that anyone is interested, but when I posted that humidifier on my Facebook page and asked friends to guess what it was, I got:

smokeless ashtray * football slurpee * pepper mill * portable smoker * modular housing for the space age * fondue with a straw * sonic wok * space-age hibachi * incense burner * tripod * armored Mars lander with telescope * portable sauna to turn any room into a sweat lodge * neighbor as seen from space, cigarette firmly in mouth * ashtray from the late '50's * an orange, now gone bad, with a straw puncturing the skin, preserved on a fancy tripod stand, commemorating a more sunny moment * green heating: garbage incinerator / portable heater with toxin-fighting exhaust filter * the new MacGadget * foot-warmer, or maybe just a steam-heater * little tea pot, short and stout