(yet another) USB to SPDIF converter

Azazel

This one, "Taralabs"...

Native 24bit 96k USB to Spdif I2S Converter for DAC - eBay (item 270517709517 end time Feb-17-10 17:30:38 PST)

... but I read "Teralabs". Whatever, it does use the Tenor chip, like the Prodigy Cube I am using now, but it is a simpler desing (no DAC inside so no line outs and no headphone out) with the option of off-board power supply.

I am happy with my unit (does native 24/96 and changes the sampling frequency on the fly with foobar) save for a problem with some 24/88'2 files (does not recognise the 88'2 fq). But "no drivers" makes me happy...

Anyone to test it? Padam were you not looking for something like that? :D

Yups, remember the Parasound does not go higher than 48kHz: you can use a simpler adapter with it (even put inside the case to avoid one more connection), there are many around based on the 270X chips for around $30.

The beauty of this "Taralab" (sic) is going up to 96kHz with no drivers. The beauty of the HiFace looks to lie on its layout and clocks.

From what I gather though, the Tenor chip is unreliable according to the maker of the chip themselves, something re-enforced by my Audiotrak Prodigy Cube (which uses one) dying on me soon after I bought it.

Heh. Buggy chips are pretty commonplace, but it's rare to hear of silicon that just dies outright. Is this because of overheating, or something else entirely?

• 1 month later...

just a note to say I am using the "Teralink-X" at present (reinterpreting usb into spdif/bnc to feed the buffalo), it is still settling in but currently is at around 80 hours playing time.

In windows vista it has been and is buggy, sometimes it just doesn`t output a digital feed, don`t know why as the pc clearly shows it is recognised and being fed the audio :shrug: .

In Linux (Opensuse 11.2, my main OS) it has shown no bugs and is fully plug and play :)

• 2 months later...
just a note to say I am using the "Teralink-X" at present (reinterpreting usb into spdif/bnc to feed the buffalo), it is still settling in but currently is at around 80 hours playing time.

In windows vista it has been and is buggy, sometimes it just doesn`t output a digital feed, don`t know why as the pc clearly shows it is recognised and being fed the audio :shrug: .

In Linux (Opensuse 11.2, my main OS) it has shown no bugs and is fully plug and play :)

The Vista reliability problem got solved once I installed the C-media driver rather than the default vista one - it is no longer buggy. Sound quality is still less impressive than I get natively in linux but good enough for light gaming and background/burn-in music. Playing via Linux remains the way I listen to flac/streamed music :)