Finally Ordering AKG K-701's

Yikes

Well I finally have a little spare cash, so I have at long last ordered a set of K-701?s. I had one of the first sets on loan from AKG last fall (To take to the NY meet), and I fell in love with them.

I think that they are the bestest headphones made. :)

Soon I?ll think about re-cabling them. I wonder what wire I should use?

Now all I have to do is wait until they get here. :(

I didn't think the 701s improved that much when I used them balanced, there was an improvement sure but it was not that drastic. Also I know you mentioned the 600s but the 650s are better balanced, even those that prefer the 600 single-ended prefer the 650 balanced for the most part

Going by what I heard at the Hamilton meet the Senns definitely respond better to balancing, and between the 600 & 650 I prefered the 650. However I've heard a bunch of 650's now and every single one of them has sounded different to varying degrees while the 4 or so pairs of 600's have been pretty much identical. Puzzles the hell out of me.

Well, the Senns have already gotten a new cable so my 650's are ready to go. Guess I can save some $$ and time with the 701 and 600 after all. The biggest decision and one that I've struggled with for several weeks now is about balancing the PS1. I'd love to hear them balanced but I hate the thought of messing with an out of production headphone like that. One day I'm ready to do it and then I get cold feet. Plus, I'm still torn over who to use for the recable.

So, outside of the 650s, which cans respond most favorably to balancing? Not to thread crap but....

I found out that the 701?s are currently on backorder, so it?s going to be at least a couple of weeks before they ship to me :(. I was hoping that I could break them in, and re-cable them in time for the early November NY meet. It looks like that will be cutting it a little tight.

AKG loaned me a set last fall. They were in such short supply that they made me return them. :(

I have a re-cabled set of Sony MDR SA5000?s.

I feel that stock AKG K701?s beat stock 5000?s. My 5000?s are much better than stock, so I am very curious to see how the 701?s do against my 5000?s. Then I?ll re-cable the 701?s to really push the envelope.

AKG loaned me a set last fall. They were in such short supply that they made me return them. :(

I have a re-cabled set of Sony MDR SA5000?s.

I feel that stock AKG K701?s beat stock 5000?s. My 5000?s are much better than stock, so I am very curious to see how the 701?s do against my 5000?s. Then I?ll re-cable the 701?s to really push the envelope.

I found that recabling my K701s with mogami quad really got rid of alot of the roll off in the high frequencies.

So if you like the treble roll off of the stock K701s, beware

It is a nice upgrade and brought the sound signature closer to what I like (more neutral and transparent).

Pete