Good inexpensive desk/task light?

fierce_freak

In my current situation I don't really have a designated area for electronics work. While trying to find a wife-accepted permanent location I've had to make due with a few impromptu work areas, all of which have really inadequate lighting. Funds are tight, but I absolutely can't afford to ruin another component attempting to forge ahead despite poor lighting conditions.

I'm looking for something <$40 shipped (or bought locally) that can work well as a light for electronics work. Anyone have any suggestions on what to go for?

If cheap is a must have you thought about using a headlamp? You could get a decent one for around half your budget and nothing is going to pack up as easy as that.

Otherwise, something like this which clamps to the edge of the table is exactly what I've used for the last 3 years. Hard to imagine you'd find better for $19 shipped and there are a bunch listed with no bids.

I can never seem to have enough light at my work area also. I have missed quite a few bargains on ebay for the clamp mount architect style lamps that I think would be most useful for a work table if it has an edge to clamp to. It would be adjustable and positionable so that's what I'm currently shopping for now. The one's that I bid on most often are like this.

Right now I have one like this, something like $20 at walmart.

EDIT: and the one that Nate linked is another option, as my eyes are not getting any better with time.

I have a thing sort of like Nate's, but older, with the round fluorescent bulb, and it's great. It clamps onto the edge of the desk or drops into a 1/2 inch hole in my portable bench. I have two, actually. One, I think, came from a thrift store for $10-ish and the other is a hand-me-down from my now-deceased father-in-law. It's a decent light and now that I've had the magnifier for a while, I wouldn't be without it.

Mine are more or less like this Amazon.com: Mag-Lite Silver Finish Adjustable 3 Diopter Magnifier Lamp: Electronics

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The only thing to watch out with some of the Ikea lamps is they pollute your power like you wouldn't believe. You might run into issues if you're doing some precise measurements. I actually have one that I turn on specifically to see how well PSU can filter junk out.

I'm still looking for a good light for both the desk and a garage shop light. My father over the years has been steadily increasing the strength of light he uses to read with, and recently discovered that this might be due to some medication he's on. I'm headed in the same direction as he is, so figure I should just invest in a good light source now.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally found a light that I'm excited about. Not cheap, but hey... I'll be using outside mounted to various tools, as well as indoors:

It's an Electrix 7305:

Model 7305 [ halogen ]

MR-16 halogen, dichronic reflector, 700 footcandles (~ 150W incandescent), 4000 hr. life bulb, 25" gooseneck, 90 lbs pull magnetic base, 12v transformer located in magnetic base, etc.