Omega II setup vs. Balanced HD650 setup?

humanflyz

Yup, I feel like getting a second setup to complement my K1000 setup, and I'm trying to decide between an Omega II setup or a balanced HD650 setup. My Omega II will be amped by a KGSS, and the HD650s will be amped by a GS-X, when the new MOSFET modules are released. Basically, the intended goal of this secondary setup is to complement the K1000 setup, so I don't really want it to have a similar sound signature.

So, what do you guys think?

If you listen to a lot of techno or other music that has a lot of very low bass (which the K1000 rolls off), I'd get the HD650 rig, as it would give you the extension and impact that sort of music needs. Otherwise, I think an OII/KGSS rig sounds better than an HD650 in most regards, save bass impact. Both do have a pretty similar tonal balance, so it becomes a question of whether you'd rather have the airier and more detailed OII presentation or the more physical HD650 experience.

• 4 weeks later...
Depends on the HD650 Amp. The SDS-XLR is one of the best things mated with an HD650. Blows the OII out of the water... hell it certainly competes with the HE90's..
This really depends on what the O2 is hooked up to... if it is an ES-1, I seriously doubt the validity of your claim given what I heard at the National Meet. ;)

This really depends on what the O2 is hooked up to... if it is an ES-1, I seriously doubt the validity of your claim given what I heard at the National Meet. ;)

I guess I'll be able to test it out, since Neil's hosting a mini-meet at his place. I will be able to compare the HEV90 against the ES-1, and the HE90s and the O2s.

Well my claim is based on the following:

1) Having an O2, HE90, HEV90, Balanced HD650

2) Having heard and purchased an ES-1

I like the O2 with the ES-1. it sounds great. Just not great enough given direct comparison.

I will admit it depends on source material. Poorly recorded, or highly sibilant material will sound more comfortable (and therefore better) on the O2.

Neil

Just go with both. That is what I did... they really are great in their own respect but they certainly do compliment each other very well. I had a balanced gilmore reference with HD650s and a KGSS with the OIIs and they both had their place. I certainly would not pick one over the other as I think they are both equally as good. So my suggestion is get both ;)

Well my claim is based on the following:

1) Having an O2, HE90, HEV90, Balanced HD650

2) Having heard and purchased an ES-1

Fair enough... I wasn't aware you had an ES-1 on order. :)

I think it is just a matter of taste in that case, as even balanced, the HD650 is really not my cup of tea.

Considering that a pimped out SDS-XLR costs $10k-$15k, I'm going to look at the value of the system here. :P

In any case... I would rather get a HE90 and a cheaper amp than the O2, and as for the HD650. They are not the only dynamic headphones that sound better balanced. Hell, some headphones even sound good unbalanced. :D

Wow, I need to read my posts before I hit that button.

Considering that a pimped out SDS-XLR costs $10k-$15k, I'm going to look at the value of the entire system here and not individual components. :P

In any case... I would rather get a HE90 and a cheaper amp than an O2 and the ES-1. As for the HD650, they are not the only dynamic headphones that sound a lot better balanced. Hell, some headphones even sound good unbalanced. :D

The above quote has been edited for clarity. ;)

neilvg - I know, it is hard to believe... but I've heard it. :o