Boston Meet March 6, 2010

Voltron

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I had a good idea for a change this morning. I have the WES in crates and ready to ship back to Woo Audio, and my secretary was making up labels. While reading the Stax thread while I was on a call :palm: it struck me that a detour to Boston this weekend would not be a bad idea. I called Jack and he said Yes, so the WES will be shipped to a responsible citizen or documented alien in the area to bring to the meet. Jack and Woo Audio are totally awesome. I will bring SR-Omegas and if anybody has an HE90 to Stax adapter we can have dueling Omegas going at the same time on the WES and then on the BH(se).

And here I was sending him your address... :)

I trust you are not accusing me of base self-interest in this matter, sirrah. I shall rebut you forthwith in an overlong, self-aggrandizing screed or my user name is not Stretchlab!

The good news is my 404LEs finally shipped from Elusive Disc today, so there will be a minty pair of those available for assessment with the all-star cast of stat amps being assembled.

Edited by Hopstretch

I trust you are not accusing me of base self-interest in this matter, sirrah. I shall rebut you forthwith in an overlong, self-aggrandizing screed or my user name is not Stretchlab!

The good news is my 404LEs finally shipped from Elusive Disc today, so there will be a minty pair of those available for assessment with the all-star cast of stat amps being assembled.

Damn, have you been channeling Mike? 3 new 'Stats in as many months?

Cut me some slack. I'm about to go waaaay out of circulation for several years and have only just gotten the true religion. Must cram as much electrostatic promiscuity as possible into the next few months! :)

Make sure Spritzer gets The Bible out to you asap :)

It turns out El_Doug was bringing both a WES and SR-Omegas. Already sent the Woo unit, so there you go. :palm:

The adapter I mentioned is to utilize the HE90 jacks on the WES and the with Stax phones. I am trying to find one to allow the head to head comparison of SR-Omega to Omega II, so if anyone knows of a member who has an adapter with a male HE90 connector on one end and a pro bias female Stax connector on the other who might be willing to ship it to somebody at the meet at my expense, let me know.

If I can leave the Omegas at home, I could bring the Beyer T1 instead. My gear list would be this:

luvdunhill Balanced JFET amp

Balanced TWag JH13 replacement cable with Tiny XLR termination for JFET amp

Beyer T1

iMod/iPod

TTVJ portable and maybe the Hybrid portable as well

I will need access to a balanced source, or bringing the JFET amp doesn't make any sense. Anybody got a pair of XLRs of output available for a loan at the meet? Maybe drp could loan me the Opus?

Edited by Voltron

I have a pair of Grover (think the S model) XLRs and another XLR cable set. Will look for soon and let know; make sure I pack it all. I can also bring the SRD-7 Pro with the Trends amp in case anyone wants to compare this meager stat setup with the Exstata; might give interested parties a better feel for the lower cost-of-entry stat solutions.

Excited to try out the JFET with the balanced JH13 cable and Opus. The Opus will otherwise be the WES' date for the day.

Voltron,

I'll be bringing my DAC-1 and XLRs

Edit, gear list to bring for the meet:

DAC-1

TTVJ 307A

a laptop?

K1000

PS1 (1/4)

Anyone bringing some balanced dynamic phones? I could bring my Apache but I doubt anyone would find it worth listening to.

Cool that you will have the 307A. Love it. You can probably leave your Apache at home if you want to minimize.

I'll have my balanced HF-1s with me.

And I think we should set the WES up with the OPUS if Dave is still willing to bring it. I should be able to whip up another pair of balanced XLRs before the meet.

I have some pre-made Nugget Audio XLRs available if needed. :)

I have a pair of Grover (think the S model) XLRs and another XLR cable set. Will look for soon and let know; make sure I pack it all. I can also bring the SRD-7 Pro with the Trends amp in case anyone wants to compare this meager stat setup with the Exstata; might give interested parties a better feel for the lower cost-of-entry stat solutions.

Excited to try out the JFET with the balanced JH13 cable and Opus. The Opus will otherwise be the WES' date for the day.

That all sounds great. You will love the JH13s balanced out of Marc's amp. Very cool stuff.

The adapter I mentioned is to utilize the HE90 jacks on the WES and the with Stax phones. I am trying to find one to allow the head to head comparison of SR-Omega to Omega II, so if anyone knows of a member who has an adapter with a male HE90 connector on one end and a pro bias female Stax connector on the other who might be willing to ship it to somebody at the meet at my expense, let me know.

This wouldn't be a fair comparison since the HE90 output runs at a lower bias (500V) and has a higher value ballast resistor compared to the Stax output.

I like it! but I'm not sure the el_doug model is coming. I hope Jack doesn't mind the extra trip that could have been avoided. :palm: Of course, he also said that if anybody wanted to buy the one you will be receiving shortly he would work out a deal--it was brand new when he sent it. :jacob: