Office amplification

Zanth

I'm interested in a very small foot print of an amp. I like a warm colouration when I'm working. I will likely be using the RS-1's and the RA-1 will be far too lively. I would love something with tubes, but the EMP AE is too rich for my blood and well, out of production. THe RKV is very interesting but quite a bit larger. I will be using an iPod.

Guest sacd lover

Hey Zanth ;) What about a used Singlepower ppx3. Not to big, inexpensive tubes ... will probably run $425-450. You can get tube adapters and convert the amp to a SLAM at any point .... and the amp has plenty of power to drive grados . The Mapletree is a good idea too.

I'm interested in a very small foot print of an amp. I like a warm colouration when I'm working. I will likely be using the RS-1's and the RA-1 will be far too lively. I would love something with tubes, but the EMP AE is too rich for my blood and well, out of production. THe RKV is very interesting but quite a bit larger. I will be using an iPod.

By "too rich for your blood" are you talking sound or finance? The stock EMP is an excellent amp with RS-1, IMO, and you're not going to find a smaller footprint in a tube amp.

I do love the Rs-1 with the old EMP. I used that combo for quite a while. I t was so much simpler then. I actually didn;t mind using it with bowls as it certainly had the stereotyped tube sound.

I use to like using it with a lot of live accoustic rock sets. Where pace and bass control is not a paramount issue. One of the warmest sounding combo's I have heard so far.

Strangely enough I did not like the senns with the EMP or the EMP a.e.

I still miss that combo.

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest that depending on budget the Headroom Millett might make a great office rig, hey wait, that's what I use! It's footprint is rather small (7"w x 9"d x 5"h w/ tubes) and has nice things like 2 switchable inputs (great for compy and DAP), crossfeed and preamp outs (for speakers). I can't believe I waited as long as I did to move mine into the office. Even with the desktop PS it still doesn't seem any bigger than the PIMETA that I had there before because the footprint is nearly the same. Also, the Millett does a wonderful job of masking crappy sources like lossy MP3's but can resolve enough detail to sound excellent when called upon. After a marathon session in the office today (14.5 hours >:() I know that I couldn't have made it through it without the Millett and the HD600s.

That's my 2?,

Nate