SF Bay Area 2/27/10

Asr

Great Pics guys. Favorite so far: Mayberry whisk(e)y buffet.

P.S. My favorite would change if there was a picture of LinuxWorks being disemboweled.

300-movie-400a0309.jpg

I don't know if Gene or Peter got a pic of it early on, but I had it set up with a row of Glencairns up front, with the d-_-b versions in the middle. :)

I thought you were going to say that we should post a chopped version of this pic with Leonidas' head. :laugh: For those with the skilz, this one would be an option:

ncr10_04.jpg

Now for the good stuff. Since Al has already posted the chronolorgy. I'll mostly just use his text to describe the photos. Non quoted text will be my comments (if any).

2. Thursday evening. Dropped gear in Mayberry, added Grahame to the merry band, continued with Pliny the Younger (thankfully the growlers I bought on the black market were not filled with man piss as JP had speculated jealously from afar) and some whisk(e)y from the Whisky Cart I had set up, had dinner at Iron Springs brew pub, and watched Peter stumble around and laugh. MikeyMad met us there, and then we retired back to Mayberry for some serious late night drinking and whisk(e)y tasting. Mikey and Grahame went home and the rest of us bunked down in Mayberry.

MOA10-2.jpg

MOA10-49.jpg

Is that a camera, or are you just glad to see us?

MOA10-5.jpg

MOA10-3.jpg

MOA10-11.jpg

MOA10-17.jpg

Peter has Happy Hands

MOA10-13.jpg

MOA10-20.jpg

Out and about ay Iron Springs Brewpub and Fairfax Scoop…

MOA10-31.jpg

MOA10-29.jpg

MOA10-30.jpg

MOA10-24.jpg

MOA10-44.jpg

MOA10-33.jpg

MOA10-34.jpg

MOA10-37.jpg

MOA10-36.jpg

Drunk posting?

MOA10-46.jpg

3. Friday morning. Pain. And general sluggishness. Luckily it was raining and the crew was up for a slow day at the house recovering and getting ready for the evening. It turned out to be a nice mellow day listening to music and bullshitting, as we always do. Recovered from hangover slowly but surely. FrankCooter showed up, Grahame returned and started talking head interviews for his short film on the meet, and we hung out more.

MOA10-48.jpg

MOA10-52.jpg

MOA10-50.jpg

MOA10-47.jpg

MOA10-53.jpg

MOA10-54.jpg

MOA10-58.jpg

Are you talkin' to me?

MOA10-60.jpg

went to meet … blah blah

meet pics already posted in above posts, no moar here

7. Sunday. Frank took off in the morning and the rest of us went for brunch to the sister Thai Buddhist temple to the one down Matt's street in Tampa. They have a Sunday brunch open to the public and we met Grahame and his wife there for some tasty Thai food and good Karma. Ken took off for home, and the rest of us went for a touristy drive through Berkeley and a walk on the campus. We had a beer at Blakes on Telegraph and watched some USA/Canada hockey. Filburt and Grahame & Joann went their separate ways, and we were down to Matt, Gene and Peter back at Mayberry. We cleaned up a bit, packed up the van again, and headed for SF. Claire made dinner, we hung out with my kids and then Peter drove off and I took Matt and Gene to the airport, the official end to the meet.

MOA10-103.jpg

MOA10-104.jpg

MOA10-105.jpg

MOA10-106.jpg

MOA10-108.jpg

MOA10-112.jpg

MOA10-111.jpg

MOA10-121.jpg

MOA10-130.jpg

MOA10-139.jpg

MOA10-136.jpg

smeggy?

MOA10-135.jpg

MOA10-137.jpg

Good times, and a nice warm-up for MOA II in the Fall. Be there or be an

amen, brother.

Forgot to mention:

I made an effort to A/B a regular Double Double to a cheeseless Double Meat. The cheeseless had more beef flavor, but it was also ultimately a bit dry. The cheese, while it brings little flavor to the party, brings plenty of texture and fatty creaminess. I'd say I prefer WITH cheese, but if the burgers were cooked to medium rare, I may change my mind.

Here are my meet pics, Mayberry pics are still cookin':

The meet got off to a cracklin’ start:

dsc4194u.jpg

The grace and beauty of the SR-Omega was on full display:

dsc4141.jpg

dsc4189r.jpg

Headamp debuted the Pico Slim in its’ final dress, with a fancy new piece of leather outerwear:

dsc4236w.jpg

dsc4191.jpg

Of course, the Beyerdynamic T1 was the subject of much listening and discussion:

dsc4145.jpg

And many members lusted after listening to the lovely Luxman:

dsc4155.jpg

One of two vinyl rigs to appear, this one ran the new Eddie Current phono stage:

dsc4198b.jpg

A comparison of JH13’s: plain and smoked!

dsc4201y.jpg

Many Grados appeared, both modern and vintage:

dsc4153h.jpg

dsc4152r.jpg

dsc4238.jpg

First you had guzziguy’s tubes in the Menace Lite:

dsc4148a.jpg

dsc4149.jpg

Then FrankCooter’s ubertubes:

dsc4215w.jpg

dsc4205r.jpg

dsc4226.jpg

dsc4230c.jpg

Finally tubes, tubes, and more tubes!

dsc4214.jpg

dsc4207.jpg

The K1000’s had plenty of listeners, despite the noise:

dsc4231.jpg

While others chose to block it all out:

dsc4241.jpg

Raffle time!

dsc4204b.jpg

dsc4217.jpg

The room continued to buzz with activity, all afternoon and into the evening:

dsc4235h.jpg

In the end a good time was had by all!

dsc4202n.jpg

Well, I've always been one to crop shots to whatever aspect ratio fits the scene, within reason. The wider ones I assume you are talking about just fit best that way. I don't think seeing a whole bunch of ceiling would necessarily make a few of those indoor wide shots look any better.

It doesn't help that the forum software here shrinks everything based on width. I originally sized all my pics to be 800px on their longest side, but the forum software is shrinking the wider ones, making them seem much smaller overall than the tall shots which it is not shrinking. At least for once, I think this is something done better at H-F.

There seems to be some sort of correlation with K1000s and nerdy looking Asian boys who look like they haven't hit puberty yet and I can't really say I'm an exception. But he has it setup all wrong, there's virtually no angle at all.

Looks like it was a really awesome meet! Wish I could've been there, and great pics.

There seems to be some sort of correlation with K1000s and nerdy looking Asian boys who look like they haven't hit puberty yet and I can't really say I'm an exception. But he has it setup all wrong, there's virtually no angle at all.

Looks like it was a really awesome meet! Wish I could've been there, and great pics.

You dont really expect the unwashed masses to know how to use a k1000 properly, do you?

Day 1: Tornado Beer Bar:

dsc4134a.jpg

dsc4135.jpg

We wondered if this guy was going to show up at the meet:

dsc4132.jpg

dsc4136k.jpg

dsc4130p.jpg

Day 2: the Grahame chronicles:

dsc4166.jpg

dsc4167u.jpg

dsc4171n.jpg

Day 2: City Beer:

dsc4175.jpg

This one's for grawk!

dsc4174h.jpg

And this one's for cetoole!

dsc4213d.jpg

Ken couldn't wait to get out of the restaurant...

dsc4177l.jpg

...to get to the Josh Readman show!

dsc4178.jpg

dsc4179x.jpg

dsc4182.jpg

Day 4: Morning in Mayberry:

dsc4252x.jpg

dsc4253q.jpg

Day 4: Buddhist Breakfast:

dsc4254.jpg

dsc4256.jpg

dsc4257.jpg

dsc4259s.jpg

dsc4263h.jpg

Day 4: A tour of Berkeley:

dsc4282.jpg

dsc4271.jpg

dsc4270m.jpg

dsc4268fp.jpg

dsc4276.jpg

dsc4278.jpg

And finally, Voltron's redneck neighborhood!

dsc4289.jpg

Well, I've always been one to crop shots to whatever aspect ratio fits the scene, within reason. The wider ones I assume you are talking about just fit best that way. I don't think seeing a whole bunch of ceiling would necessarily make a few of those indoor wide shots look any better.

It doesn't help that the forum software here shrinks everything based on width. I originally sized all my pics to be 800px on their longest side, but the forum software is shrinking the wider ones, making them seem much smaller overall than the tall shots which it is not shrinking. At least for once, I think this is something done better at H-F.

No, it was something odd before, and it might have just been that some would not load properly. The Luxman shot, for example, only went down to the bottom of the Amarra 4 and I could not see the Luxman. In the PS1000 shot, only about half the can was visible. This was after waiting awhile for them all to load and it was the same on HF and HC. Now, they are fine/complete. I don't know. Great pics regardless.

Consecration in paper cups. Oh yeah, we're gangsta.

:laugh: Not sure if that or $100/bottle whisk(e)y in paper or plastic cups is worse. But we were being stealth at the hotel that was hard-ass about drinking at the last meet and this time had a total hands-off approach.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Grahame, when are we getting the video? :dotu:

I was reading a thread over at HF that Acix posted in which reminded me, that guy is just as annoying in real-life as he is online. Er scratch that, he might actually be more annoying in person. I kept trying to avoid him too but he kept hounding me. I thought he'd left at one point but he was still there! :chair: That guy definitely ranks as the most annoying person I've ever met at a meet.

Top creepy stalkerish moment of the meet: Acix watching me listen to my setup.

Hey Grahame, when are we getting the video? :dotu:

I was reading a thread over at HF that Acix posted in which reminded me, that guy is just as annoying in real-life as he is online. Er scratch that, he might actually be more annoying in person. I kept trying to avoid him too but he kept hounding me. I thought he'd left at one point but he was still there! :chair: That guy definitely ranks as the most annoying person I've ever met at a meet.

Top creepy stalkerish moment of the meet: Acix watching me listen to my setup.

Well yeah that's because you're a Headfi celebrity like Skylab and HPA (and by association Blutarsky) :)