Amarra competitor?

blessingx

New here....but this subject is also just starting over at audiocircle. I have noticed a number of Amarra fans here so it would be interesting to get more comparative information.

I have been investigating the whole using a minimac thing as a music/video server and the associated software that can be used....this is another that makes it very hard not to go this route once taxes are paid up.

Pure Music Player

I tried Pure Vinyl briefly a few weeks ago, just after my iLok for Amarra arrived. I am liking Amarra (Mini) a little better at the moment, but then its improvement over iTunes is a little more colourful (for want of a better description). The Pure Music special is certainly a hell of a lot better value than Amarra Mini though, and it uses a lot less memory and is a lot less flakey with Apple Lossless files than the current Amarra Mini build.

I need more time with it but I think I'm liking Pure Music. Haven't tried Amarra. In the course of playing around with settings I've also discovered I don't like the Mac's native upsampling from 44.1 to 96 kHz (this is with Lavry DA10). I'll be interested to hear if the forthcoming upsampling build of Pure Music is good enough to let me leave the output on 96 all the time instead of switching up only for HD tracks and back to 44.1 the rest of the time.

Does anybody know what Pure Music is doing, anyway? Is it just adding some dither, or is there more to it than that? My laptop has enough other stuff running that I don't really think I'm getting a lot of benefit from the memory-play feature.

Withholding description of what the Pure Music playback sounds like to me until I've listened more.

I tried the channel D software and while it is a step in the right direction I thought it was not as good as amarra and actually clunkier. Nice to see a cheaper solution out there that is good but still needs some work sonically and with the interface. It is warmer sounding than amarra and I think not as detailed but that could also be my bias creeping in?

WHo would have thought an audio player would be so dang difficult to make user friendly, crap the wave editor player still is wonky as well.

I wonder if this software is not only cheaper initially, but doubly so with the lower hardware requirements (if the comparison page is to be believed). Is it true Amarra plays back audio files twice?

Favorite part for me is this doesn't require a f$&@king iKey (and a wasted USB port).

Not that I know of Filburt, but the software has been shown to be bit transparent (when set to max volume) so I guess that pretty much only leaves jitter.

So you're saying the output is quantitatively identical to the input? If so, I don't really understand what the purpose of this software is.