Prototypers wanted

dsavitsk

I'd like to go ahead with this if you have room.

Yup, I'll include you on the list.

Is there an upper limit on cap size (uf) as I have some Erso caps that are actually rather good. Also, what voltage do these need to be? The ones I have are 250V IIRC.

You can probably use whatever you want in terms of size. There can be an issue with a large cap charging across a parafeed transformer and magnetizing the core, but probably not an issue here.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got the last one ... I thought you hated output transformers?

I'm willing to expand my horizions... :D

Besides which i have more than 8 tube Mcintosh amplifiers... Too bad no one makes transformers like

that anymore. And a classic original Marantz around somewhere... Plus the two short wave radios

(they probably don't count...)

Better than running 200 volt black gate power tank capacitors at 350+ volts...

Should not be very hard to assemble, I think i can manage.

Edited by kevin gilmore

Guest sawyers

Better than running 200 volt black gate power tank capacitors at 350+ volts...

It is a crying shame that Black Gate is now defunct. The guy who ran the company in Japan has been trying to limp production on with Rubicon, but they pulled the plug a year or more ago.

Craig

• 1 month later...

Guys -- sorry for the long delay. We have the cases. We are just waiting on the transformers which have been promised and delayed a number of times. They are winding them as I type this, so they say, and should ship to me early next week.

Also, one person backed out so if anyone wants to jump in for the last one send me a PM.

-d

• 4 weeks later...
Guys -- sorry for the long delay.

Well, the initial 3 to 4 week estimate for winding the transformers turned into 2 months. They finally arrived last week, and the pinout was wrong. :palm:

New ones are being wound, and should ship soon ... I hope. They told me it would be this week. We'll let you know. Sorry again for the delay. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Colour me a little curious to how this project is coming along. My soldering iron is getting tarnished and needs something to do, and I have a little spare cash in the kitty. Also, just wondering whether the RK27 is going to be the only on-board pot choice...... any chance that the pads for a DACT CT-2 could be added as well?

Thanks lads! :)

I think it's pretty much ready to go, Tom just had too much to do prior to CanJam to get the parts kitted. I'd expect things to move along pretty soon but we didn't talk dates. Also, based on what I saw for space constraints you'd have a hard time using a pot that was any larger than the RK27.

Colour me a little curious to how this project is coming along.

I think it's pretty much ready to go, Tom just had too much to do prior to CanJam to get the parts kitted. I'd expect things to move along pretty soon but we didn't talk dates.

Now that CJ is over, this is pretty much top priority for us. Tom is in possession of PCBs, transformers, cases, tubes, and a few other parts, so it is really a matter of when he has some time to get everything together. Should not be too long, though.

Also, just wondering whether the RK27 is going to be the only on-board pot choice...... any chance that the pads for a DACT CT-2 could be added as well?

Also, based on what I saw for space constraints you'd have a hard time using a pot that was any larger than the RK27.

The target price for the kit is in the $300 range. That may go up or down a bit depending on how much parts cost us, but we are trying to keep it around there. It doesn't make sense to use a pot that costs 2/3 of the rest of the amp. And it's too big. And, I don't think it makes that much, if any, difference. If you really want an upgrade, I can supply you with some Electra-Print nickel core OPTs which will make a ton more of a difference. Or with one of these: http://assets.head-fi.org/6/6d/6ddc8d48_IMG_0688.JPG I hear they are nice.

Anyway, I think the Noble pots have the same footprint.