The ambient/IDM thread.

Knuckledragger

Ireland is not exactly known for its ambient musicians, but Dublin's Mick Chillage stands toe to toe with his German and Scandinavian counterparts.  When I first his his downtempo album Tales from the Igloo album in late 2010, I was immediately captivated.  The whole album is pretty stellar, but the closing track, a re-interpretation of John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 theme really grabbed me.  I've played it out a few times and always a few people recognize it, but aren't sure what it is.

I tracked him down on Facebook, and it turns out he's a pretty cool cat.  He regularly posts links to new projects he's working on.  Most of the music he makes these days is decidedly more ambient than downtempo.   A couple of years ago, Mick released an album on the late, great Pete Namlook's label Fax +49-69/450464 called FAXology.  "Returning Home," the closing track from it is a bit of a slow burner (as ambient music is wont to be), but the payoff is damn well worth it.  Mick's a deft synth programmer, but he also has an uncanny sense of melody.  Returning Home is one of the best thing's he written.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bceTjk1JLA

I almost share a label with him.  I didn't make the final cut for the physical release of the Namlook tribute (Fax's founder), but I'll be on the digital release if we can get enough people to buy it.  You can preorder it here.  If you're going to go all out and buy the physical release, then like this Facebook post to indicate your interest in the full digital version (as opposed to a digital-only version of the physical release).  In fact, like it no matter which version you buy, I think that's the only way he'll know there's interest.

• 3 weeks later...

yah, I know, I listened to the whole thing.  It's mostly that they drive me nuts because I remember the stupid whistles from when I went clubbing back around that time.  Something that's a cool participatory thing once, and then becomes every high idiot deciding he's the show.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Speaking of RDJ, he's trolling everyone as per usual.  There's a mysterious soundcloud page up with some early 90s tracks that sound a lot like his floor sweepings: https://soundcloud.com/user487363530

Some of them are ear-gouging but a few are sublimely beautiful.  One can never be sure with RDJ, but I strongly suspect these are authentic.  SomewhereOTTGTBAG is especially good.