The ambient/IDM thread.

Knuckledragger

Intredasting.  Also, largely old news.  I've been a fan of Oneohtrix Point Never for years.  I fetched the two main Chuck Person off slsk a while back.  They're ...amusing but I didn't find them to be as genre-defining as others do.  Similarly, the only thing Macintosh Plus did that really interested me is the hugely popular "Computing of Lisa Frank 420 / Contemporary."  My only exposure to 骨架的/Skelton is that the blighter has a bad habit of releasing albums, deleting them, then re-uploading them with a changed tracklist.  He bothers my OCD and I ignore him. >.>  I'm not at all into the nu-disco/vaporwave/jpop "future funk" sound.  That sound makes me want to take an electric drill to my ears.  

Also, the narrator needs to learn how to pronounce "ethereal."

• 4 weeks later...

Strap in, we're going deep here.  

19vCFUq.jpg

At this point, this meme is fairly widespread.  This example actually flips the script on the standard model [Bernie says something profound] [Hillary says something fake.]  Also, it's an at this point extremely esoteric reference to mid-90s German minimal dub techno.   Taken at face value, both statements are equal.  M4 is considered a landmark release and is cited as one of the best examples in its genre.  Before it was repressed (several times) and released in a proper digital format (FLAC), copies sold for an MFing FORTUNE on the used market.  M4.5 is slightly less famous, but at least as lauded by the minimal dub techno cognoscenti.  Some electronic music graybeards (including, ahem, this one) consider M4.5 to be the better release.  Additionally, the two sides of M4 aren't terribly different.  Side B is a little more dubbed out and spacey, but the distinction is (ahem) minimal.  Conversely, M4.5 is practically a 1-sider.   Side B is less than 30 seconds(!)    Side A, OTOH, is a sprawling 13 minute dubbed out epic.  It takes even longer to get anywhere than either iteration on M4, but the melody gets slightly more energetic toward the end.  Whether or not it's superior to either side A or B of M4 depends on just how much one likes mid 90s German minimal dub techno.   

Real talk, all 3 variations on the track are not terribly different.  It's good stuff, but there are far better examples of the genre that came out around the same time.  My personal favorite is Porter Ricks - Port Of Transition

• 3 months later...

Knucks -- what was that band you told me I would like, one of their albums has a skull on the cover?  I even went and saw them live, but drawing a blank...geezin' sucks.  I thought it was in this thread, but I just reread the whole thing, and they're not in here.

EDIT:  Nevermind, found them on this page -- Oneohtrix Point Never

Oneohtrix-Point-Never-Replica1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh, SNAP.  Koneveljet are a collective of rather brilliant and batshit insane Finns who make kooky, off kilter electronic music that wanders around from techno to breakbeat to ambient.  They haven't put out a proper album in 12 years, but were apparently performing live as recently as two years ago.   Apparently they leaked most of their unreleased album on YouTube.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...