The ambient/IDM thread.

Knuckledragger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Let's talk about zoomers and mid 90s "intelligent" drum n bass (a term reviled even at the time).  I saw this recently in a TF2 thread:

MGKkKqT.png

I said "you wot m8?" and asked for an explanation.  Peshay was "LTJ Bukem, Jr." throughout the 90s.  I was never a huge fan of his mixes (too heavy on the female vocals) but he definitely had his moments.  Mid 90s DNB is among my favorite bits of electronic music, ever.  The answer I got was that a YT video with that title blew up because of a viral meme (and many meme iterations) using the 1996 DNB track "Only You" by Intense. 

The original meme:

TF2 version 1:

TF2 version 2:

The full Peshay mix from 1996, uploaded in 2018:

2M views, most of which were in the last few months.  The Information Age is one weird roller coaster ride.  Also this phenomenon ties into my personal belief that humanity peaked in 1996.  The fact that I was young, permanently stoned and utterly immersed in drum n bass, trip hop, German hard trance and early goa trance has nothing to do with it.  I swear.

• 1 year later...