Damn I'm still in love with the RS-1

deepak

It sounds so good out of a good amp and source (ppx3-slam nos tubes), but at the same time so good even out of a simple circuit portable. So sweeet with Clapton Unplugged, no harsh treble at all.

Does anyone know what Powermax (if thats the name of the company) was selling them before the drama bomd ensued?

edit: $530

Out of all the current production headphones I've heard so far, the RS-1 is still my favourite. Senns, meh, AKG's, snore, Beyers, fucking painful treble, Sony, see Beyer, Stax, nice but not really my thing, Grado, that's where the music's at. IMO, most other headphones play hi-fi, Grados play music, and the RS-1 to me is still the best current production Grado.

I am, but the K340 is not current production and has been discontinued for ages. Tube amp's done, but I recently thought up a new idea that I'm building.

I first heard the RS-1 about half a year or so after I got my Senn 580's. They made the Senns sound like a broken piece of crap. I've since heard the RS-1 quite a few times and the first impressions continue to hold up. If I didn't have a K340 and a Grado 225, I'd likely have an RS-1 by now.

i guess i am the only person here who has never liked the RS-1s ???. has anyone tried them with a balanced amp?

You're not the only one. I honestly don't like them at all. To my ears they're unlistenable with bowls or flats. I preferred my woodied HF-1 (with bowls) and now-departed woodied silver 325 (with flats) to the RS-1, and not by a small margin. At meets I've tried them with everything from my maxed Millett to some of the Singlepower stuff and have yet to find any combo I would listen to at any price.

All of the Grado phones I've ever tried have been much too fatiguing for me to listen to for more than a hour or so at a time. I've yet to try the PS-1, HP series, HF-1, or any woodied version, but I've ever since decided that Grado phones are just not for me.

Well any grado except ps-1/hp1000 is going to be fatiguing with bowl/superbowl pads, and the grados with the smoothest treble happen to be all the ones you haven't heard heh. All grados share a similar cohesive soundstage and solid impact however.

Biggie.

i actually find the coloration to be refreshing. :) it takes me a couple minutes to adjust when going from the HP-1000 to the RS-1s (and from the RS-1 to the HP-1000), but once i adjust i get very into the sound.

What headphone excels with what music? Or do you just like the change for everything? (i have never heard the HP-2)

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little late to thread but yes I love the RS-1 very much :dance:

i guess i am the only person here who has never liked the RS-1s ???. has anyone tried them with a balanced amp?

Balance gives you soundstage, which is not much but great for a grado. The main advantage is that, at least in a balanced tube amp, the dynamics and impact are increased and the treble is controlled. The increased impact is not that great in my opinion as just hits a little too much with some songs. It feels like your head is getting pelted with rocks! However, the increased dynamics and controlled treble definitely make up for it. I have only tried the balanced RS-1 in an SDS-XLR, so am not sure if the RS-1 will respond to balanced amps in general (like the HD650).