DEQ2496 as a DAC

mobayrasta

A couple of highly respected members here have reccomended the DEQ2496 as a DAC. I am very interested and would like to hear some other opinions on this cool piece of equipment.

I also do some home recording and can see where some of its feautures would help me there.

My main concern is how it would sound as a DAC. I understand that being pro-audio gear vs. audiophile gear that it will probably be a little more cold and anylitical. But paired with my Bijou amp which is very warm and lush, though it might make a good combo.

Anybody have some comments or reccomondations. I am looking for a desktop DAC. It does not need to be portable in any way. I would like to spend $500 bucks or less, the DEQ2496 can be had for $200 dollars shipped of Amazon right now. Seems like a great deal. Truth be told I am pretty happy with my modified X-FI. But now I want better.

Also how does it sound compared to the ULTRAMATCH PRO SRC2496

Probably about the same. I would guess it's using the exact same circuit as the DEQ looking at the price point. This is a guess.

I very much like my DEQ2496 and I'm never going to get rid of it. I can't hear the difference between it and my $2000+ Bel Canto DAC thought I know the BC tests better so I keep it around.

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to like DAC's with AKM chips inside (acknowledging it is not necessarily indicative of final sound), and liked the DEQ2496 as a DAC when I had it. The SRC2496 provides upsampling, as well as RCA S/PDIF inputs. The DEQ provides optical input only, user-controllable output attenuation, not to mention the digital EQ if you are so inclined.

Having the two together gives a lot of functionality, and great sound. I really liked Ari's SRC/DEQ combo at the last meet I attended.

• 4 weeks later...

jpelg Do they sound the same. I understand no upsampling wit the DEQ But I like a lot of it's features. Such as the stereo width adjustment suppose-ably great EQ's and heck I love the VU meters and peak meter on the display....... lol But if the SRC sounds better I am going to get that. It will be very ordering soon.

stack_behringer.jpg

I have 3 unit in my home.

SRC2496 stock

SRC2496 modded with Lundhals LL1690 transformer

DEQ2496 stock

SRC2496 and DEQ2496 are pretty same. I think I prefer the DEQ because it's smooter but the SRC2496 stock have zero burn-in ... so they are probably very very close.

EQ's can be convenient but you can do same with foobar ... I tend to never use digital processing because it's hurt the SQ.

BTW, don't be too excited about those stock DAC stock ... My Auzentech X-Merdian 7.1 with LM4562 opamp or Asus Xonar STX beat both behringer easily. The headphone out the SRC2496 is inferior to my X-Meridian soundcard with headphone directly on it.

If you want to hear something serious out the SRC2496 or DEQ2496 .. you need to mod them ... It's basicly the same mod as the other Chinese DAC ... put output transformer or output tube (lampizator).

My unit have Lundhals LL1690 output transformer (no more opamp in the signal path), 5 caps replaced with better one, and 1 cap replaced with a blackgate. The clock have been damped too and we add a BNC input in parallel with the RCA s/pdif.

With that ... it's a spectacular DAC ... no fear about PS Audio With cullen mod, or 2000-3000$ dac. It's easily beat my ARC CD3mk2 cd player (5000$).

The next mod I will do will be replace the AK4393 for a AK4396. Like that, the sound is more laidback with incredible details and MUCH MUCH better soundstage than the stock.

src2496_4.jpg

Edited by pompon

I use one and its an "OK" DAC overall, for the price its definitely a good dac... but I agree modded it becomes a REALLY good dac... I put a zap-filter in mine and there is a significant and noticeable difference between a stock DEQ and the modded DEQ

In the end it does not matter. My wife has really bad back problems. My parents gave me the money for my BDay to get the DEQ. I had to spend it on the electric bill. Her meds are costing me over 1k a month. So depressed can't stand it. I see no way out of it. It just gets worse and worse. Maybe in a few months I will be able to get some kind of DAC. Really sucks.

I ordered a DAC off of head-fi a while ago and it arrived so beat up by the post office, it would not even turn on. Waiting to get my money from the post office, but he devalued it so customs would not screw me so I will only get half my money back. And to top it off, they took the DAC!

DAC depression sucks.......