Is there such a thing as a rack-mountable headphone amp?

Melos SHA-1 and SHA-Gold both had rackmount faceplates. The SHA-1 chewed through tubes and there is better sound for the money so I can't really recommend it.

Tube munching was a rumor. Quite a few people have had the same set of tubes in a melos for years of use.

I dont agree with better sound for the money, but Im biased.

If you get a rack shelf, you can mount almost anything in a 19" rack. The shelves are vastly overpriced (what, $80 for a bent piece of metal? I'll take three!) but they are invaluable if one is rack mounting a rig. I used three shelves to hold most of the kit in my system. Of course, I pilfered the shelves and the rack from an old broadcast video rig that was being thrown out.

A few suggestions:

Hardware 1 Space Utility Rack Shelf*-* Rack Shelves

Middle Atlantic Products U317 | Sweetwater.com

Mid Atlantic 1 Space Utility Rack Shelf*-* Rack Shelves

Middle Atlantic RC2 Clamping Rack Shelf | BSWUSA.com

Middle Atlantic SS Sliding Rack Shelf | BSWUSA.com

Hardware 2 Space Sliding Rack Shelf*-* Rack Shelves

There is a mind boggling amount of rack hardware on the market. Nearly every piece of serious pro (audio/video/radio/etc) kit has rack ear or some other type of adapter. I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you'd find an adapter for your cat box and kool-aid dispenser.

Tube munching was a rumor. Quite a few people have had the same set of tubes in a melos for years of use.

I dont agree with better sound for the money, but Im biased.

I haven't changed tubes in mine for at least six years. I use Telefunken PCC88's, and those tubes last. My amp was modified by Carlo, and is better sounding than the stock version. Even considering the mod cost, you'd have to spend a lot to get an amp that could match the sound, much less better it. Even in its stock form, the SHA-1 at its going rate is a steal compared to some of the crap out there.

A rep can develop when someone listens to an amp with crap tubes and then makes conclusions about the amp without even realizing that he's never really heard what it should sound like.

Edited by hirsch

I changed out 3 sets of 6DJ8/(1 pair)7DJ8 (one of those 6DJ8s were NOS Amperex) when I had the SHA-1, which was a short period. I would take my M^3 over the the SHA-1 any day. I guess I'd take a Singlepower ES-1 over some of the crap out there as well (McAlister) :)

Edited by deepak