I sort of want a pair of good closed phones

The Monkey

I'm considering a pair of closed phones for when I want to listen to the BigRig while Mrs. Monkey also needs to get work done. We don't have a separate office/extra room, so sometimes my open cans bother her. The JH13s are great, of course, but I'm not always in the mood to jam them into my ears.

So now I'm looking for a closed can. And I'd prefer not to spend $1000. I've tried the Denon 5000 and I think it sounds thoroughly mediocre, but not awful. It would be nice, though, to find a closed can that's better than "not awful."

Maybe AT woodies?

Your sage (or salty) advice is appreciated.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite full sized closed cans are the audio technica W10VTG and W11JPN in the "not stratospheric" category.

Yeah, I'm interested in those.

Have you considered Beyers? They're open, but leak less than most open phones. I found the DT770 awful and DT990 has a weird frequency response, but I thought the DT880 were pretty OK.

I'm interested in the T1, but it seems a bit pricey. The new portable "baby" T1 could be interesting.

AKG K340 modded and recabled. If you want to try I have four pairs and I could loan you one for an extended audition in the big rig. They are all balanced but we should be able to find an adapter if you need single-ended.

That would be awesome, Jim. PM incoming!

I am one of those who did not care for the W5000 either, heck I thought the W1000 sounded better at almost half the price.. I realize there is a lot of anti Ultrasone in some venues but have you listened to the Ed. 8? I have seen them go for under $1,000 although not often. I also like the Denon's a lot specially w/ the MarkL Mods and wood cups (I am in trouble now for saying so). If you would like to explore the very low end (price wise) how about the Equation Eartool RP21? Good luck in your search.

I am one who owns and loves the W5000. Polarizing headphone. The W10Ltd would be a fairly safe choice if you can locate one.

Amazing how we all hear differently. I really couldn't listen to either the D5000 or the D7000 for more than a few minutes. The DT990 was just weird. I owned and liked the DT880, but read "semi closed" as open, leaks sound like crazy. I liked the Ed8, but not at that price point, and that was listening under meet conditions.

Have you given up on the CD3000? Still think it is a nice option if it can be found. The W2002 is a really nice sounding can, but not sure how much it is or how easy to locate a pair. The W1000 (weak, muddled, too warm) or W5000 (odd for most people) will likely disappoint. I actually like some of the A900 or newer versions of similar AT cans. There is supposed to be a closed T1 coming out. I'll think more on this.

@Monkey,

If you have a medium or small head, then forget about the W5000, they really do sound like crap if you don't get a proper fit/seal. If you're not fond of bending the headband and messing around with stuffing the earpads in various locations to get the best fit, then forget the W5000, it will sound shrieky and kinda hollow with very little bass. :basement:

If however, you're open to messing around with the fit, you'd be surprised how good the W5k actually is. It has very clean and textured bass (better than a lambda signature, but not as good as the O2mk1 and SC1) and bass impact strong enough to kick you in the face. Its quite picky over amps too, it can make the difference between face kicking bass and meh bland sound.

It(W5k) is a finicky bastard though, so don't expect them to sound awesome in stock form. You've gotta work it to get them to sing for you. :D

W11jpn ( :ian: ) is a nice choice too, but the W5k comes closer to the "stat" sound if that's your thing. To me, W5k<W11jpn<W10vtg :P

Can't think of any other good closed headphones right now that I've owned before that is worth a look... I'm kinda sleep deprived right now and can't really think that far back at the moment. CD3000 that I had some time back was ok, but I still >>> prefer those 3 ATs.

Never liked DT990 (can you sssay "Ssssssssibilance"? ) when I had the chance to audition them. DT880 was decent for casual listening. Oh yeah... then there was the Darth Beyers that I owned waaaaaaaaaay back.... :basement::basement::basement::basement:

Have you given up on the CD3000? Still think it is a nice option if it can be found. The W2002 is a really nice sounding can, but not sure how much it is or how easy to locate a pair. The W1000 (weak, muddled, too warm) or W5000 (odd for most people) will likely disappoint. I actually like some of the A900 or newer versions of similar AT cans. There is supposed to be a closed T1 coming out. I'll think more on this.

Apart from the L3000, which I like quite a lot, but their bass sometimes is excessive, the CD3000 would be a good choice IMHO. I didn't like the W5000 nor the W10 and haven't tried other closed AT.

The D5000 ain't bad, but even modding them (which works to tame the flabby bass of the stock model) still have annoying treble on most recordings, only very good ones sound decent. Overall I find the CD3000 more enjoyable and "righter".

Have you tried the JVC DX1000? Not that I'm advising them, but despite their flaws, they're quite fun depending on the recordings.

I really enjoyed the JVC DX1000's when I had them. To me they seemed akin to a more refined (and closed) incarnation of the HD650's. They do have a rather wonky (boosted) mid-range that may seem out of place initially, but I got used to it and ended up enjoying it for the most part.

Also, as someone very sensitive to sibilance, I greatly prefer the DX1000's to any D5000's or AT's that I've heard.

Edited by rogue