I sort of want a pair of good closed phones

The Monkey

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one CD3k in Japan that is quite minty Plus it has all the necessary extra NOS parts so it can look 100% new (at least for a while cause the pleather likes to deteoriate too quickly) - I doubt it will sell for cheap though. Also, the CD3000s sounded too unbalanced - at least for me - too much highs and rolled of bass (with not much impact) but the soundstage and comfort was nice, it is still definitely one of the better closed headphones and might work a lot better in a matched system.

I didn't hear the woodied T50RP (or in fact any orthos) but I am keen to try/own them sometime in the future.

This should be your short list:

Shure SRH840 -- just get these. Northern light and sound, $120, I think. Everything you get after that, you'll end up comparing to these.

CD3000

Denons (several at a variety of price points -- the 5000's or the 7000's, depending on how refined your hearing is)

I'll second the DT880, although I don't remember them isolating very well

Fostex T40RP's -- you'll want an amp with some oomph, though

Philips SHN9500...okay, kidding, those suck

AKG K271 ? I forget which ones are the closed ones.

If this sounds as good as it looks, I want one :cool:

Anybody tried the Superlux phones (I mean the new ones)? I heard from a friend of mine that they are really good for what they cost - but they look like an ugly meeting of an AKG and an ATH.

Yup they (Thunderpants) sound GREAT, I think youd be hard pressed to find a better closed can. And I think the price is around $550 now (the meister will have to confirm though, sorry Smeggy if I misquote the price you wanted). And limited order since I dont think he has much time to make many.

Id bet they will cane pretty much all the closed cans (probably apart from R10 though) and are a better price. Big words, but those are special cans.

My favorite closed cans that I've heard have been the CD3K (which I own and love - I think it's worth the wait and the markup) and the D7000s. I thought the DX1000 sounded weird and way too dark. The D5000 was fun while I had it, but the bass could definitely be a little much from time to time. The SRH840 was very nice (especially if isolation and leakage are important), but sounded very clearly closed-in (which the Sony and Denon do not, to my ears). I really didn't like any of the Ultrasones I heard at RMAF last year - they sounded harsh and grainy to my ears.

Ah, so THOSE are the Thunderpantseses. Are those the ones you were wearing in the airport, Colin? :)

Indeed they were. They could actually probably make it to your place for a visit next week, for a few weeks.

Yup they (Thunderpants) sound GREAT, I think youd be hard pressed to find a better closed can. And I think the price is around $550 now (the meister will have to confirm though). And limited order.

Id bet they will cane pretty much all the closed cans (probably apart from R10 though) and at a better price. Big words, but those are special cans.

Right, quite good for a closed phone, and a phone which can be driven off a normal amp.

Oh yeah, for actual closed dynamic cans, I like the MB Quart QP805hs with o2 pads.

Edited by cetoole

Ok, gang. The short short list appears to be thus:

Thunderpants

D7000

Shure

I consider the CD3000 one of those phones I'll just buy if I have the opportunity so they don't really count here.

EDIT: And, Colin, I love the idea of you walking around an airport in those.

I havent heard the D7000, but if it is just an improved D2000 then its yuck to me.

The Shure (840) is rather nice overall.

But the Thunderpants are on a different playing field to the Shure.

Dusty!

And guys, what the hell are the Thunderpantses?

Wow,those are gorgeous! Do they sound as good as they look?

They sound phenomenal, and there are many wood choices to choose from.

TP002.jpg

TP003.jpg

My pair are awaiting a Suck-it-ALO cable, and hopefully I'll get some better pads in the near future.

TP004.jpg

Dinny, I would go for the DX1000 or Shure SRH840 over the D7000. Of course, this is assuming you cannot find a mint CD3000. I should also tell you that you are going to be disappointed in all of these choices and just stick the JH13's in your ears. Since I got the JH13's, my closed headphones have seen very little use.

Edited by shellylh

Fostex T40RP's -- you'll want an amp with some oomph, though

That or the previous version, Fostex T40v1, one of my favorite orthos, though only after modding. Too they're discontinued and pretty rare. I gave my first pair away but should have another pair coming in soon, that I bought a few months ago.:D

Good to see you on here again, Dusty.

Dinny, I would go for the DX1000 or Shure SRH840 over the D7000. Of course, this is assuming you cannot find a mint CD3000. I should also tell you that you are going to be disappointed in all of these choices and just stick the JH13's in your ears. Since I got the JH13's, my closed headphones have seen very little use.

Shelly, what didn't you like about the Denons?