I sort of want a pair of good closed phones

The Monkey

I really like the HD250II, best phone I heard that isolates well and very comfortable. There is one at H-F currently, I think someone should give those one try(and fit it with new original pads and foam, it doesn't sound that good without them), apart from being a bit u-shaped they are very nice.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a studio monitor designed in the early 90's. They made it for 5 years then dropped it (1991-1995). Then brought it back again and a few years ago they discontinued it again (1998-2007). Unsurprisingly that means there were some changes during production, more or less affecting the sound.

There is one at head-fi and it is not too far from you, just buy it (I almost did but the one I have is supposed to be identical). You need to source new (original!) pads and foam, the local distributor probably has those on stock or can be ordered. Without those it doesn't sound that hot.

Edited by padam
updated with dates

Matt Engstrom at Shure said I should try the 840 with the 440 pads. I haven't done it, but I did think the 840 was a bit bass heavy and preferred the 440 somewhat ... a good cheap sealed.

Not true! I said the reverse: You should try the 440 with the 840 pads. 840 pads are rear vented and 440 low end changes drastically when used with 840 pads.

440 pads on an 840 would reduce low end but the main change would be the highs as the 840 cloth has some acoustical resistance, unlike the 440 pad.

I hope you didn't try the 840 with the 440 pads. Think of the children, Tyll.

Sorry to drudge up this old post. I lurk here from time to time but didn't see this the first time around.

Hi Al!

After I wrote that I began to wonder if in fact Tyll said he wanted less bass in the 840 and maybe I told him to try 440 pads. I don't remember doing that (and have/would never recommend that), but then Tyll has that effect on me.

Thanks for the welcome and I hope (know) you enjoyed the World Series!

OT: Anyone know how I can remove the "It's Your Sound" part of my MOT heading? It'd be cool if it just said Shure Incorporated or something. The guy that came up with the "It's Your Sound" slogan wasn't my favorite person and he no longer works here. Not a big deal at all but after having an account and lurking here for two years I made my first post only to see that. Blech. Sorry for the OT!

OT: Anyone know how I can remove the "It's Your Sound" part of my MOT heading? It'd be cool if it just said Shure Incorporated or something. The guy that came up with the "It's Your Sound" slogan wasn't my favorite person and he no longer works here. Not a big deal at all but after having an account and lurking here for two years I made my first post only to see that. Blech. Sorry for the OT!

no problem, done

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread as I'm helping a friend locate a pair of Shure SRH840s at a good price. Northern Light & Sound does not appear to carry them anymore. The best price I could find from a outfit that's not completely sketchy looking is $140 at Crisp Deals No, I've never heard of them either, but they have very good lifetime rating at Reseller Ratings. Have any head-casers ended up buying a pair of 840s? If so, where did you get them?

WTF, MPI? scare2.gifthis.gifeek.gif

Have you ever ordered from Electronics Expo? I don't see an entry for them at Reseller Ratings, and personally I have my doubts.

I actually bought a pair of sth840's from electronics expo, shipping was fast, no issues. Though others have had issues with receiving a keyboard/mouse set when they ordered a pair of $500 denons