I sort of want a pair of good closed phones

The Monkey

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i didn't need a sealed phone, i would just get HD650s again, probably. i might take you up on that offer to borrow the phones, Larry, if the Etys don't work out, i'm just not incredibly keen on trying to get an idea about a pair of phones by trying a modded pair, hence the sigh, but i guess the overall character of the cans can't be all that different. the Shures are worth looking at, definitely. i guess they have a new 940 out, now, too.

Well, I already know the modded A900 Art sound like plaidplatypus's stock A900 LTD, so you could try to find a stock pair of the LTD if you like the demo of the modded pair.

The Shure 840 are a safe bet too. I haven't heard the 940, but I see that they cost a whole lot more than the 840. I still think my modded A900 Art are better than a stock HFI780, and slightly behind my old APS V2 cabled D2000.

The Ety will isolate a lot more than the A900 will, if that's most important. I have a de-podded IM716 (ety drivers) that I like more than my old ER6i, but it absolutely must be amped to do a decent job. A guy on head-fi made a custom pod for it with 22, 33 and 47 ohm resistors and I can set any combination to get more bass with less resistance and more detail and air with more resistance. I could send you the IM716 and if you like them you can keep them, as long as you don't sell them but pay it forward if you get tired of them.

• 2 weeks later...

the Etys are working just fine, they don't seem to aggravate my tinnitus. i'd forgotten just how great they sound, too.

I've come full circle on the Ety's. After listening to the E500 and Phonak's thinking that I moved on to bigger and better things, I'm back with the Etys. They just get it right. Glad they are working out with the tinnitus.

I asked because it's been years since I tried a pair of ER-4S, which I disliked, probably more due to the lack of amplification than for they being intrinsically flawed. I use the iPod while going to work, so I like better not needing an amp. I'm using the X10 now, which sound good, but they're starting to show ageing in the cable, and left channel sometimes does a poor contact at the plug. They'll need a replacement and the ER-4 could be a good one, weren't for the Westone 4 doing like this :prettyprincess: in front of my eyes ;D

I picked up the HF3s for $99 (which they go regularly for). They sound very close to the ER4 (which I still have) but have a mic and volume controls for iphone. It isn't as amp dependent as the ER4.

But, yeah, getting a seal is hit and miss. And they need the seal to sound right.

For $100 (includes getting impressions) they offer custom.

I don't especially like the sound of foamies either. But I do like the "skinned" Complys and black olives (which I THINK will fit Etys. Can't keep the nozzle sizes straight) Might be worth a shot.

I have only one pair of customs. That particular pair of earphones in my particular ears are great for comfort and not so great for isolation. If your ears are a more normal shape, your mileage will probably vary.