Audeze LCD-2

swt61

I got newer graphs from tyll/audeze and at least they don't show the rise to infinity at 5khz.

I commented over there too. If you think i'm dumping on these headphones then you clearly

do not understand. I will be getting a pair. I will customize the open loop version of the dynafet

if necessary to maintain as flat a frequency response as possible. They are definitely better

than the he5/6. I want to nail down where these inconsistencies are coming from, it could

be the software tyll is using. But we will surely get to the bottom of this.

I'll be doing my own testing once i get them. On my own equipment which is different

from tyll's. Closest thing to a stax diaphram yet.

My krell preamp has a phase button, and absolutely i can tell. Classical music on speakers,

it is instantly noticeable, one is clearly right and the other is not.

The switches on the hp1's are exactly phase switches.

I was ready to join the "I can't tell the differene" crowd, cause I've tried it many times before, pushing the invert button on the dac. Finally I found a song that if I turn it up a little, I can clearly hear the difference. Like Kevin said, one is right and the other wrong. The other 40-50 songs I couldn't tell.

Fitz, maybe we can all go in together and share a community pair. Only way I can listen to them is if I sell everything else I got.:D

And then there's the whole danger of that it just sounds "different", and not necessarily one is better than the other, because they are running through slightly different circuits. So really, the only way to tell is to have two phase changes, and change one, then the other, then both, and see if one is clearly wrong vs. right.

I remain skeptical.

How can you guarantee that the recording itself is in phase? And in phase with itself (i.e., every microphone or recording track with all others)? I guess I've never listened for it, and don't currently have any gear with a phase switch on it anyhow, other than my brother's Adcom CDP which I still have. Hmmmm.

I got newer graphs from tyll/audeze and at least they don't show the rise to infinity at 5khz.

I commented over there too. If you think i'm dumping on these headphones then you clearly

do not understand. I will be getting a pair. I will customize the open loop version of the dynafet

if necessary to maintain as flat a frequency response as possible. They are definitely better

than the he5/6. I want to nail down where these inconsistencies are coming from, it could

I'll be doing my own testing once i get them. On my own equipment which is different

My krell preamp has a phase button, and absolutely i can tell. Classical music on speakers,

I thought the HP-1 switches were polarity switches?

Hearing speakers out of phase is very distinct. If you have heard them in phase, you should be able to recognize them being out of phase.

I have some recordings that are very reliant on proper phase. I recorded some demo tracks of Smyth SVS processed audio streams, and they lose their tight localizations (especially the center channel) with headphones that are out of absolute phase. I could tell something was sounding off with the LCD-2's in Tyll's measurement room when I listened to those tracks there.

Is it possible to share these graphs? :). Having viewable ones would be nice.

Even the TP ones we saw the resolution was crazy small.

If we can use them for Wikiphonia it would be great!

Here is the link if you don't know what this Wikiphonia is all about. I can help post the graphs if you are interested and/or anyone is free to join and add info to the wiki themselves. Full credit is given to all the pictures/info if we know the source.

How can you guarantee that the recording itself is in phase? And in phase with itself (i.e., every microphone or recording track with all others)? I guess I've never listened for it, and don't currently have any gear with a phase switch on it anyhow, other than my brother's Adcom CDP which I still have. Hmmmm.

a lot of circuits invert anyway. the pico slim is an inverting amp. meier's portables are as well. so are a huge # of headphone tube amps. same thing right?