Audeze LCD-2

swt61

Wonder if wa6 can drive this properly.....if so i'm tempted to revive my dynamic rig. Someone frm hf listened on wa6se n he dig it......

Alex from Audeze actually bought a WA6 SE from Jack a little before Canjam and had it at his table next to the new Cavalli amp. I think most people were excited about trying the Liquid Fire(?) with LCD-2 and nobody payed attention to the WA6SE. To me the WA6 SE was actually pretty killer with the LCD-2 and tubes really brought out good bass impact, more extended highs, and a more holographic soundstage to my ears compared to the Cavalli amp. Just my opinion...

I'm on the waiting list. These were wonderful out of my Zana at CJ.

Thats good to hear,I liked the LCD2s when I first heard them at the last NY meet.

I only got to hear them at Cj with the Ipad & Woo 6.

I have yet to order them yet as The Jh3a sucked up those funds.

Waiting on the EC BA to be delivered as well.

To me the WA6 SE was actually pretty killer with the LCD-2 and tubes really brought out good bass impact, more extended highs, and a more holographic soundstage to my ears compared to the Cavalli amp. Just my opinion...

Would wa6 be able to deliver the same performance as the se? Afaik, the se delivers more juice than wa6

Alex from Audeze actually bought a WA6 SE from Jack a little before Canjam and had it at his table next to the new Cavalli amp. I think most people were excited about trying the Liquid Fire(?) with LCD-2 and nobody payed attention to the WA6SE. To me the WA6 SE was actually pretty killer with the LCD-2 and tubes really brought out good bass impact, more extended highs, and a more holographic soundstage to my ears compared to the Cavalli amp. Just my opinion...

I liked it out of both the WA6 SE and the WA22, and preferred the WA22 to the Cavalli, but my time was too limited with either amp, sources were different, etc. so that's not a criticism of the Cavalli amp at all, just a very loose first impression.

Is true...

I'm just wondering if any of the younguns have even heard of Virgil Fox. Interested? Try this link and sample the Joseph Jongen Symphonie Concertante.

I'm on the waiting list. These were wonderful out of my Zana at CJ.

Since you have one of the good HE-5s, I'm very much looking forward to your opinion of the LCD-2.

Since you have one of the good HE-5s, I'm very much looking forward to your opinion of the LCD-2.

Had. I sold them to be able to purchase the LCD-2. Budgets and things.... But you are not terribly far away so we may be able to arrange a listening for you wualta. Once I have them that is.

i waited over a week...but they just sounded too good at CanJam...i'm on the list...

i was thinking of an amp to go with 'em...the Stacker II & Zana Deux immediately came to mind...it's great to find out that both of those combos have been tried as i forgot to do so...

so...do they come in a fancy presentation box?...i'm a sucker for a fancy presentation box...

• 1 month later...

So it seems to me that based on specs, an M3 w/ OPA627 should be a good amp for the LCD-2. Would any of the DIY folks here agree with that? I've been looking into the commercial amp options but it seems like there are very few <$1K options that would adequately drive an LCD-2 short of DIY (CKKIII, M3, B22).

So it seems to me that based on specs, an M3 w/ OPA627 should be a good amp for the LCD-2. Would any of the DIY folks here agree with that? I've been looking into the commercial amp options but it seems like there are very few <$1K options that would adequately drive an LCD-2 short of DIY (CKKIII, M3, B22).

Based on the original specs that came out, the M3 would drop out of the default class A bias quite easily...... but I think that those specs were wrong. I'll do some quick reading.

CKKIII, I doubt it. Not nearly as much current as the M3 can provide.

[EDIT] LCD-2 are 91dB/1mW and 50 ohms. So you're looking at 4.5mA and 0.22V to reach that which the M3 can push no sweat. You could have four doublings of current (72mA) to get you well above 91dB and still be within the default 80mA class A bias. Big heatsinks would allow higher bias for even more headroom. Of course a B22 pushing 160mA or a DynaHi pushing 150-300mA would be better, depending on your budget.

It sounds like I should retain the M3 that I currently have then (at least for a while), and budget up for a B22 in the future. :) I was also looking at the Dynalo specs but couldn't conclusively tell if it'd be able to properly drive the LCD-2, but given the current output you stated, it seems like it too would be inadequate?

a CK2III can be biased deeper into Class A, but offboard heatsinks would be a must. the fact that the BJT output transistors have a positive temp coefficient would make this a little more tricky (thermal runaway) than compared to the negative temp coefficient of the output MOSFET transistors in the M3. if you wanted a little more headroom than the bog standard M3, just get taller on-board heatsinks and bias deeper into Class A. the M3 is an excellent and economical amp to drive piggy loads.