Audeze LCD-2

swt61

Kunal is having a set of pants made so he joined here to continue to communicate after getting canned from head-fi for whatever reason.

Anyway, no, the LCD doesn't need gobs of power to sound really nice. I've been very pleasantly surprised how well they go from very modest gear. I certainly wouldn't class them as a difficult to drive phone or even hard to get to sing. They are simply exceptional in my view and I'd be wearing them a whole lot more if not for the sound leakage. I have to share the room with the TV so keeping that out and keeping my tunes in requires closed phones for the most part.

Nick, were you at the Seattle meet?

I've heard the HE-6 (production) last weekend and I'm pretty impressed. I've never heard a treble like that before where it has the right combination of presence, details and smoothness and I'm also fairly certain that it's better than the O2 MK1 and MK2 in this area which I had heard two weeks prior to that. O2's treble is also incredibly detailed but sometimes I felt that it lacks the presence that certain music will benefit from. Too bad that the soundstage incoherency, which I had mentioned in the ortho thread here, still persists even with the latest batch of HE6.

Can't wait to compare it with the LCD-2 when it arrives.

Smeggy, I wish I could have made it. I’ve got 6 month old twin babies right now, and they’re a pain in the ass, albeit cute as hell. They should be a lot more coherent by the next meet, which will make me feel less guilty leaving them with my wife.

Seeing pictures from the meet was a real slap in the face. It looked to have been one of the best outside of Canjam.

Back to the LCD-2s, I think I do like them better out of my DA10/Beta22 combo than from the Pico DAC/amp. My hunch is that the former’s brighter signature is a little closer to neutral, but it’s hard to say without a tone test. I also think the big rig delivers more impact. But the fact I have to say these things with uncertainty is awesome. I can’t overstate the convenience of around the house portability.

I’d be curious to read how others here find they compare to the top end dynamics. Am I the only one who finds them faster and more resolving?

Goddamnit, you just mainlined on my weakness...

I don't think that the loaners I have now are the production version, just the prototype ones, but yea, I would say that they are definitely something that one would consider in their headphone rotation... eventually. I like.

I got a pm from Fang or whoever and he said that the production version wouldn't need an amp like the proto loaner does. I'm guessing that means speaker amp or whatever. I don't think they need any power much, just voltage swing.

Edit:

The thing for me that's really tough to deny about the LCD is being in the room with Tyle while he was testing them and seeing his reaction to the graphs and then listening. I didn't care all that much for them at CJ.

Edited by digger945

A tip about the screws: The front screws (at least they are on the front on mine) are for tightness, and the tiny hex-screws in the rear of the blocks, if they come loose, the cups can do a 360 in the manner of Grados. Due to their weight, I found they'd slip notches when I didn't want them to, so I set mine to the position I wanted and tightened the screws.

I also have to note that the production HE-6 is goddamned heavy. Clamping-wise, it's kinda similar to HD600/650 to give you an idea on how the fit will go.

I wonder what's stopping them from adapting Stax's wonderful headband design...

Goddamnit, you just mainlined on my weakness...

Take one for the team! ;)

I also have to note that the production HE-6 is goddamned heavy. Clamping-wise, it's kinda similar to HD600/650 to give you an idea on how the fit will go.

I wonder what's stopping them from adapting Stax's wonderful headband design...

Take one for the team! ;)

:sadcat:

And here I was thinking of getting HE-6 as my more comfortable ortho alternative (I do have a LCD-2 which I love but can't wear for more than an hr at a time)...

I know on paper they're still lighter than the LCD-2 but would you say you'd even feel a noticeable difference between the weight of LCD-2 and HE-6?

As for the screws I've been wanting to tighten 'em since mine's a bit loose, but the blocks on mine are cracking and I kinda don't want to make that worse, so gonna have to wait for my replacement first.

I have but it still seems to become sore sometimes unless I sit in a perfectly straight posture the whole time. That's a good thing usually but it also makes it a bit hard to relax and all. I blame my long ass giraffe neck. Imma need one of these... [ATTACH=CONFIG]3863[/ATTACH]

post-2474-12951158443934_thumb.jpg

:sadcat:

And here I was thinking of getting HE-6 as my more comfortable ortho alternative (I do have a LCD-2 which I love but can't wear for more than an hr at a time)...

I know on paper they're still lighter than the LCD-2 but would you say you'd even feel a noticeable difference between the weight of LCD-2 and HE-6?

As for the screws I've been wanting to tighten 'em since mine's a bit loose, but the blocks on mine are cracking and I kinda don't want to make that worse, so gonna have to wait for my replacement first.

They are both equally heavy according to a few friends who have heard them ( and similar comfort). The question is: can your amp handle these power hungry headphones that sound best out of a speaker amp?

I have but it still seems to become sore sometimes unless I sit in a perfectly straight posture the whole time. That's a good thing usually but it also makes it a bit hard to relax and all. I blame my long ass giraffe neck. Imma need one of these... [ATTACH=CONFIG]3863[/ATTACH]

You realize those make your neck longer right? I know a thing or two about having a long ass giraffe neck, never had a problem with K340.

They are both equally heavy according to a few friends who have heard them ( and similar comfort). The question is: can your amp handle these power hungry headphones that sound best out of a speaker amp?

Well, I was hoping that the WA6SE would be decent enough, but if not then I also have a power amp in reserve. IIRC didn't they improve the efficiency for the production version though?

You realize those make your neck longer right? I know a thing or two about having a long ass giraffe neck, never had a problem with K340.

Oh damn... but it looked so... uh, stabalizing. :-[

Thus I now shift blame on my long ass wimpy giraffe neck and look into stax.