Audeze LCD-2

swt61

Well, I was hoping that the WA6SE would be decent enough, but if not then I also have a power amp in reserve. IIRC didn't they improve the efficiency for the production version though?

They sounded damn fine out of a WA6 (not sure if it was the SE or not) at CanJam, I wouldn't worry about the power.

The weight thing only lasted a day or two for me. Swapping out the speaker cable for a headphone one dropped the weight too. Forget where they ran a myth thing, but those neck bands are pure illusion, no neck length change which makes sense since the spine isn't known for it ability to do rubber man thing.

Personally still loving my LCD-2/B22 combo. Actually got the MkII of the DA220 this week expecting minor changed if any and was surprised that despite only changing the digital filter it sounds very different. Not necessarily better, but different for sure.

Just placed my order from the "it's your turn" notice I got from Audeze, can't wait to try them out. I'll be using them with a Neko D100 and Gilmore Lite w/DPS.

I'll be using a GLite as well unless I can manage to swing an upgrade. Any impressions would be great!

Has anyone been able to compare these to the HP1000s?

Related: As opposed the many over on the other site, I think the GS-1 performs better with the LCD-2 than most tubes. Certain better than anything I've tried in the Extreme Platinum (unless you only care about midrange). Would like to compare the Eddie Current Hybrid someday. Bet the Glite will do well.

From what my friend has told me the lcd-2 with the glite/dps does very well. It does however look like it might benefit a bit from a more "powerful" amp, the glite does however do a good job. I think emelius and asr have tried it with a glite too.

I also can't wait to try them out

I might pick up the Gilmore X2 when it comes out though. It looks very promising.

Same. I purposely haven't bought anything (well can't really because i don't have money) in anticipation of X2 w/ async DAC. It'll be my graduation present to myself.

Related: As opposed the many over on the other site, I think the GS-1 performs better with the LCD-2 than most tubes. Certain better than anything I've tried in the Extreme Platinum (unless you only care about midrange). Would like to compare the Eddie Current Hybrid someday. Bet the Glite will do well.

I also have had greater success with solid state then tubes for the LCD-2. Goldpoint Headphone Pro being my pick but it

I'm thinking I might stop here with the LCD-2s -- I've stopped caring about building a Stax rig and I don't want to ruin it with the HE-6. If I get any more gear it will be a good power amp and those Harbeth Monitors I've had my eye on for quite some time. Maybe if I see K1000s for a good price somewhere in the future, I will try them, but I am pretty sure I'm done with gear. DIY on the other hand...

I still feel the LCD-2 really benefit from a re-cable, and at RMAF I just didn't enjoy them as much stock as when I tried the ALO 8-wire or Silver Dragon cable, regardless of source and amp. The source and amp did make a bigger difference, but even with the best source and amp they only seemed truly transparent and disappeared with the upgraded cable as the final tweak. At that point the transparency was closer to my O2 Mk1 which have a similar sound signature and soundstage.

I look forward to reading that review when I get home this afternoon. But I look forward more to getting my Silver Dragon cable and rolling tubes in my ZDT to make them a better match. I have a brighter Telefunken smooth plate 12AX7 that I'd like to try soon. They did a great job in the old GES with the treble in the O2 Mk1, but I'm being too OCD about splitting up a matched quad to use just one with the ZDT.

Cables make relatively little difference with ortho headphones. Orthos present an essentially resistive load to the amp. That is, this type of headphone is nearly pure resistance, able to be driven properly by any good amp with enough power, and unaffected by the varying stray inductance and capacitance of exotic overpriced cables. There is no feedback from orthos going back to the amp as well, since there is no magnet with voice coil, just food for thought.

The way I see it "great improvement" with cable change is purely change in the perception. I am yet to hear a difference when re-cabling orthos, unless the original cable was pure crap with rusted contacts.

There is no feedback from orthos going back to the amp as well, since there is no magnet with voice coil...
I thought I understood Orthos, but I guess I'm wrong if I understand this statement correctly. I thought it was similar to a dynamic headphone, only instead of a voice coil, the diaphragm was between two layers of magnets (I.E. orthogonally from the traditional dynamic driver).

For example.

I thought I understood Orthos, but I guess I'm wrong if I understand this statement correctly. I thought it was similar to a dynamic headphone, only instead of a voice coil, the diaphragm was between two layers of magnets (I.E. orthogonally from the traditional dynamic driver).

For example.

That's right. It just lies there in between the magnets and floats back and forth in the magnetic field as the current goes through the circuit on the diaphragm.

Yup, the diaphragm is typically a piece of plastic with a "voice coil" etched on, sandwiched between two magnets with lots of holes in them. The static magnetic field acts against the magnetic field caused by changes in current in the diaphragm's "voice coil". The voice coil in dynamic drivers attaches the dome to the back magnet and moves the dome due to static magnetic field of magnet and changes in current in the voice coil. And since the voice coil is basically an inductor you've got rising impedance with respect to frequency. And since the voice coil is also like a spring, you've got a major amplitude deviation in impedance at the resonant frequency, which aren't in orthos.