Audeze LCD-2

swt61

Pads alone made huge changes in most Yamaha orthos when I was tweaking them. So just the pad change could be responsible for the difference.

Well Audez'e is now saying they've changed the driver as well as the pads. New ones are slightly brighter with better imaging and tighter bass.

For those who hear the reverb, try one thing with EQ: bump up 100Hz 3db with a low Q, shelf up treble past 1.5KHz 3db, and notch down 1Khz -3db with a high Q curve. Voila - the reverb goes away.

That shouldn't even remotely be necessary.

Well Audez'e is now saying they've changed the driver as well as the pads. New ones are slightly brighter with better imaging and tighter bass.

Sneaky. Interesting. Wonder why they just let this info out. I like it, though. Makes me want a pair "more today than yesterday." Edited by bhjazz

Yeah, that seems very weak, Tyll. I don't like surreptitious changes, especially if they claimed otherwise. :mad:

Between the LCD-2 changes and the Beyer Tesla line changes I think the measurements are having their impact. Makers just can't do stuff without it being seen.

That's cool.

Gonna be a tussle for a while though.

I'm not sure I like this approach to headphones design and built:

With Rev.2 we are addressing concerns of many customers who feel that original LCD2 has darker high frequency signature than many top of the line headphones.

For the frequency response plot I'd say they haven't increased the treble response but reduced the mid-upper bass output. So I wouldn't expect the resonance in the treble to be gone.

Tap dancing isn't easy to do well.

I know, but a designer should know he/she cannot please everyone, so must stick to his own principles, not to the "complains" of some customers who seem to miss what other headphones do. If you like other phones, buy them.

Hmmm....the new version sounds interesting. I had the very first iteration and sold it a while back but do miss some aspects of it quite a lot. It's nice they fixed a lot of kinks with the headphones after the past year....goes to show you need to wait a good year for kinks to get worked out. I should probably have done the same with the SR-009s ;)

Between the LCD-2 changes and the Beyer Tesla line changes I think the measurements are having their impact. Makers just can't do stuff without it being seen.

That's cool.

Gonna be a tussle for a while though.

If my memory's good you did the measures before June, which is before the driver update date (mid June), maybe the version you have just has new pads but not the new drivers. I'd email Audeze to confirm that.

Post cord-entry-angle change and pre-new cable and thicker pads.

We should have the same version then. Anyway, I'm still not sure about a brighter LCD2 although admittedly a slightly more air to its treble is more than welcome.

For me the treble wasn't toooo much of an issue, other than when playing Bluegrass and such. However, what bugged me more about them was the lack of soundstage and layering of instruments. The headphone felt quite claustrophobic and not that great recreating a sense of space in live performances. The tonality was pretty spot on though...which is what counts the most in my opinion.