Audeze LCD-2

swt61

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And let's not forget that he started a "LCD2 Best Music" thread that's also growing like a cancerous wart...

LOL! Seems like we have something in common....

Nothing against him personally, but I have grown tired of the endless "demo music" threads over there. I posted on that thread last night and no surprise, got a nice response from that guy. Why they deleted my comment...I don't know. Maybe I should have posted links to the other dozen or so threads of demo music.

If this is the same guy that I think about then it's curious to note that he has a strange obsession on burn-in.

Anyway, it's sad to see the current state of the LCD2 thread over there as despite the immense hype, the headphone is a real winner. It's basically the closest you can get to an O2 sonics-wise minus perhaps the Stax-exclusive separation and soundstaging at a fraction of the price.

I also find it amazing how some people there seem to act as if the new Revision 2 sounds drastically different than the older version. I've compared them (with the same new pads and cables) and they definitely sound more similar than different and on certain tracks, barely discernible. Honestly I'm still not sure on what to feel with the Revision 2 since although the treble is slightly more prominent, the midrange seems to suffer a bit: it sounds drier and not as nuanced (probably something to do with extracting micro details?) compared to the older version.

If this is the same guy that I think about then it's curious to note that he has a strange obsession on burn-in.

Anyway, it's sad to see the current state of the LCD2 thread over there as despite the immense hype, the headphone is a real winner. It's basically the closest you can get to an O2 sonics-wise minus perhaps the Stax-exclusive separation and soundstaging at a fraction of the price.

I also find it amazing how some people there seem to act as if the new Revision 2 sounds drastically different than the older version. I've compared them (with the same new pads and cables) and they definitely sound more similar than different and on certain tracks, barely discernible. Honestly I'm still not sure on what to feel with the Revision 2 since although the treble is slightly more prominent, the midrange seems to suffer a bit: it sounds drier and not as nuanced (probably something to do with extracting micro details?) compared to the older version.

That would be basically one member who had 48 hours in between listening sessions with either can. They are much more alike than different IMO.

I'm looking forward to hearing the LCD-2 balanced on the Dynamite. I continue to enjoy them for what they are, but the hype is a bit silly (I don't mean this in a negative way for just the LCD-2, if the O2 had a thread growing at 5 pages a day it would be just as inane). When I want to really enjoy music and put away everything else I still reach for the Omega 2 mk1.

The FR graphs between my R1 and R2 were pretty radically different and, even though I didn't have both pairs at the same time, I was constantly comparing them with the 009s, so I feel that, at least with my pairs, I gained considerably getting the R2s.

I don't think there is so much of a problem with hype as there is a problem with some people being unable to hold a conversation on a forum about anything simple without turning it to crap in some way.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the LCD rev1 a for a while and even though I liked I sold it and now I have decided to buy it again until a o2mk1 pops up. I'm just not sure if the rev2 is worth over the used rev1 price, you still feel the same about the two K3cT ?

It's funny how you mentioned the O2 MK1 because I honestly feel that comparing the midrange of the older and newer LCD2 does remind me a bit of how the midrange of the O2 MK1 compares to the MK2. One is more neutral while the other is more tipped.

As to your question, I definitely still feel the same. Overall I would say that the Revision 2 is still a slightly more proficient headphone than the Revision 1 especially if you feel that the treble of the older LCD2 is not bright enough or its soundstage is too small. For my personal taste though, I value a purer midrange more than the the better treble and soundstage and hence my decision to stick with the Revision 1 for now. Besides, I'd figure that I can buy the Revision 2 anytime but once the Revision 1 disappears from the used market it's going to be tough finding them.

If you do stick with the older LCD2, I can suggest getting the newer thicker pads. I find that it improves the sound more significantly than a recable and the new pads are far more comfortable to wear too.

I've been listening to a loaner pair of Rev. 1s on both my Dynalo and Dynahi (SE) and really like them. No, they're not perfect, and I have very limited listening experience with electrostats, but I could live with these. I don't notice that much difference between the Dynalo and Dynahi, but the Dynahi is still kinda breadboarded and isn't using the TKD pot I have for it.

Something has been bugging me lately, probably because I've been listening with the 009s so much. While notes seem to jump out of nowhere and instruments and voices are just lovely, some of the finest detail in the decay of notes seems to be missing. I wonder if that relates to the impulse response comments Tyll wrote in his latest Innerfidelity piece.

Something has been bugging me lately, probably because I've been listening with the 009s so much. While notes seem to jump out of nowhere and instruments and voices are just lovely, some of the finest detail in the decay of notes seems to be missing. I wonder if that relates to the impulse response comments Tyll wrote in his latest Innerfidelity piece.

Don't know if the measurements show it but I have always maintained that LCD-2 are a touch 'overdamped'. Apart fom the decay of notes, it also leads to the 'hardness' in treble that Tyll talked about.

I find that removing the black felt helps with the decay although conversely it reduces the much-loved bass impact. It makes you wonder whether it's possible to replace it with another material? I should read the Fostex T50RP thread again in the other site to look for inspiration.

^It can definitely be done.

While I haven't tried it on LCD-2(one doesn't mess around with $1k borrowed headphones) but I have managed it on a number of vintage orthos.

You can start by replacing the stock felt with felt of similar thickness but of lesser density and see if it helps.Be warned though, that this 'trial & error' process can be quite cumbersome esp. when you are so close to achieving the right balance.

Edited by gurubhai

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny how you mentioned the O2 MK1 because I honestly feel that comparing the midrange of the older and newer LCD2 does remind me a bit of how the midrange of the O2 MK1 compares to the MK2. One is more neutral while the other is more tipped.

As to your question, I definitely still feel the same. Overall I would say that the Revision 2 is still a slightly more proficient headphone than the Revision 1 especially if you feel that the treble of the older LCD2 is not bright enough or its soundstage is too small. For my personal taste though, I value a purer midrange more than the the better treble and soundstage and hence my decision to stick with the Revision 1 for now. Besides, I'd figure that I can buy the Revision 2 anytime but once the Revision 1 disappears from the used market it's going to be tough finding them.

If you do stick with the older LCD2, I can suggest getting the newer thicker pads. I find that it improves the sound more significantly than a recable and the new pads are far more comfortable to wear too.

I snatched a rev2 since it came first at a good price but I'm finding the vocals to distant for my taste. The rest I found out it was a improvement,the soundstage, treble etc.. This from memory and I recall the Lcd2 being much more upfront with the vocals but I could be wrong.. Is this just my imagination or the difference is really that much?