Time for some Stax SR-Sigma love......

John Buchanan

I let them charge up all day and they are playing fine, no imbalances.

Is the dampening material supposed to directly cover up some of the driver? I was not able to find good enough pictures using Google. I would say roughly 30% of a driver is covered by the dampening stuff.

sigmafoam1.jpg

sigmafoam2.jpg

sigmafoam3.jpg

Simple answer......No. The driver should be close to 90% to 100% visible.

That piece of dampening material covering the driver is separate from the rest, so I can remove it. I will get some more pics up later this evening. Anyone mind posting pictures how it's supposed to look?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Sigma 404 is pretty good.

I keep thinking about selling them to fund the 009 but I like them to much to let them go.

Like John says, they are great for hot summer nights, when the 007's get too toasty.

I know Birgir might think I'm a complete fwit, but I sold my 007 Mk 1 instead of the Sigma/404. And haven't regretted that for one second. Sound and comfort reasons both.

IMHO, the Sigma/404 and the 007 Mk1 were almost exactly the same efficiency - volume control was the same for the same volume. The LNS is far more efficient. Probably due to the increased driver -> ear distance of the Sigma series compared with the same driver in a Lambda frame.

Edited by John Buchanan

Had a listen a few hours ago to the Sigma normal bias and O2MK1 and HE60 on my almost completed KGSS.

The HE60 was the most addictive. I kept coming back to them to compare them to what the others were doing.

The Sigma had the best bass, but lost out in resolving power to the other 2.

After packing these two away and concentrating on the O2MK1, it took about 3 tracks to tune in to the sound.

They are more melifluous phones than the other 2.

I suppose the difference between the HE60 and the O2 is like the Grado RS1 and Senn HD600.

One screams "Listen to me" while the other patiently waits for you to discover it's virtues.

The Sigma seemed to distort at what I find a slightly uncomfortable volume.

Had a listen a few hours ago to the Sigma normal bias and O2MK1 and HE60 on my almost completed KGSS.

The HE60 was the most addictive. I kept coming back to them to compare them to what the others were doing.

The Sigma had the best bass, but lost out in resolving power to the other 2.

After packing these two away and concentrating on the O2MK1, it took about 3 tracks to tune in to the sound.

They are more melifluous phones than the other 2.

I suppose the difference between the HE60 and the O2 is like the Grado RS1 and Senn HD600.

One screams "Listen to me" while the other patiently waits for you to discover it's virtues.

The Sigma seemed to distort at what I find a slightly uncomfortable volume.

IMHO, the Sigma normal bias is far too dull - it translates as what you might hear as a loss of resolving power. The basic sound is fantastic, but too rolled off in the high end. The 303 or 404 driver implants transform this phone into what the Sigma promised and couldn't deliver (or, if you find a Sigma Pro, you're already there - I was lucky to find a NM Sigma Pro to add to the Sigma/404 for $700).

Edited by John Buchanan

You're going to love them. Can anyone who has had this done (apart from the usual suspects Ed and Birgir) please report back here?

LOL I meant tell us about what you thought of the changes in sound with the modification. Photo optional. My photo is with the unmodified Sigma prior to it being sent off to Accutech. I just like the photo - captures the joy of listening well, I reckon.

• 1 month later...