Time for some Stax SR-Sigma love......

John Buchanan

The mod was done by a Thai head-fi member in Thailand. He took out the 507 drivers from their plastic enclosures and wrap them with some kinds of Carbon-Keflar tape. He used hot air from a hot air gun to soften the tape then wrapped the tape aroumd the drivers. Once cool, the tape became stiff and held the drivers in place pretty well.

Wachara C.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I find that both the Sigma Pro and Sigma/404 are surprisingly good out of the old Stax SRM1 Mk2 amps, even compared to the more powerful and recent the Stax 717. In fact I may even have a preference for that pairing vs with the 717. On the other hand my 007a phones do not sound as good on the SRM amps. I find this odd because I find the Sigmas less efficient than the 007a and you would think the bigger amp would be a help. Possibly some kind of synergy is at work here in which Stax voiced its amps to match its then current product. The SRM amps and the Sigmas are both from the 80's. The Stax History line shows the Sigma pro coming out in 1987, whereas the first SRM pro amp was 1982.

I still find the Sigma pro and Sigma/404 are by far the best way to listen to opera and choral music. I can't quite put my finger on why this is. Possibly the increased spaciousness of sound with this design, compared to conventional phones, works to recreate the sense of openess and the opera house acoustic.

Edited by edstrelow

I sometimes use my 007 Mk1's with this amp and feel it does produce very good sound, even the bottom end is quite good too. Not up to BHSE or T2 standards but its no slouch, especially in view of their cost compared to more recent models

On the other hand my 007a phones do not sound as good on the SRM amps. I find this odd because I find the Sigmas less efficient than the 007a and you would think the bigger amp would be a help.

Which Stax do you plan to run these with Birgir when they are refurbed?

Haven't tried it yet as I still have to refurb the ED-1. Bloody low voltage circuits so nothing's in stock for them... laugh.png

Edited by complin

The SRA-12S is a nice amp (I have two here) but it really needs to be refusbished at this point. It runs very hot and the caps don't age all that well...

So what do you think of the sound of the Stax ED-1/202 combo, Birgir?

Haven't tried it yet, KGSSHV and HE90-Signature takes up all listening time. :)

I was just handed a SR-Lambda Pro to refurbish so I guess I can try the diffuse field EQ after all... :)

Birgir, would the caps be it or do other components need to be replaced? I ask because I could take care of replacing the caps, thanks.

Yup, all the electrolytic caps need to be replaced. Most are axial bot the BC caps are excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been spending the week with the SR-Lambda Pro and the ED-1/SRM-1 Mk 2 combo and while the effect works for some material the downsides are just too great for me. The strong center image is achieved by severely limiting the top end and the bass has a notch to it. With modern tech this effect could be accomplished without the bad effects but it's still a neat piece of Stax madness. :)

• 6 years later...

Looks like problem solved: "No this isn´t possible the new driver frame don´t fit in the Sigma housing. Last drivers they work was from the Lambda SR-202/303/404 series."

Soeren from Inexxon.de

Looks like transplantation is the only way. Anyone has a spare Lambda Signature to sell :) ?

Cheers

• 1 year later...

So I was lucky enough to buy a set of SR-Sigma's with the SRD-7, from the original owner. A man who kept all packaging and original papers from his purchase in 1977. They are still in perfect working order.

The "dust cover" membrane has disintegrated, and I have delicately removed most traces. To my eye, I see no residue on the drivers. I have contacted Stax, and they tell me that the 507 lambskin earpads and dust cover will fit. Anyone have  any experience with that?

Furthermore, is it necessary with a dust cover over the headphones when not in use? Right now I am using them also without any protection from the mineral wool. My ears don't touch them, but should I be worried?

For a set that's 42+ years old, these headphones demolish most of the competition even today, just not in aesthetics.

Last question, any other care issues I should be aware of? I want these to last as long as possible.

Thank you for your time,

-Alex

Hi Timb5881,

I find that these headphones care more about your source material than they do the genre at hand. Meaning, I've heard many genres through these venerable masters, and all they do is reveal. Bad recording/source file/master etc, bad performance. But great mixes/masters are amazing reproduced on my SR-Sigma's. I can't speak for the others on this forum, as some have modded to the 404 drivers and have even better sound (which I can't even fathom right now because I love these already as is).

Revealing as they are, I tend to use these only on masters I know are great and my own timeline edits (These are great editing headphones, earspeakers for purists, as they give me all the detail in the world to work with) so I can reveal any flaws in the mix. While technology has come a long way since, in some ways it hasn't. 

Think of the Sigma's as a large format camera. A 1950's 4X5 camera (Linhof Technica or equivalent) shooting a 50iso negative is going to demolish any digital camera in detail and texture and image quality, under $15,000-20,000. Only the latest megapixel beasts from Phase One, or Leica's S series will beat it or come close. Empyrean, Abyss, LCD4z's etc might have a slight edge, but you also have to pay the price tag. But arguments can be made for both camps. I reckon that the detail about the unique position of the drivers has a lot to say about the magic of the SR-Sigma's.

So yes, short answer, it all sounds great. But then, I am listening from the angle of wanting to hear it all, flaws as well as the moments of genius. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...