Has the DAC landscape gotten convoluted lately?

Which AudioGD did you get?

I got the last 3SE with the PMD100, I also have the PMD100 DAC19Mk3 its good but lacking in bass and stereo separation (porobably due to the smaller PS), the 3SE is a tank. I can't say I would recommend any of the new AudioGD DAC's as I haven't heard the DSP1 (never cared for DSP filters) and I don't like the DF1704.

That chocolate comment sounded like it came from someone who at some bad acid yesterday.

Sonif Frontiers I find overated. Assemblage are fantastic but unobtainable. Sold a Pass D1 after hearing an AudioGD, not saying I wouldn't trade it for an assemblage but the AudioGD's are better than the S-D opamp clones out there. If you want to talk Shill, the whole OriTech Zahlou was the most over shilled over priced DAC in history. You can literally build the same thing with a $75 ebay board and a $25 PCB from Ray's audio shop.

Dunno what units you are talking about. Sonic Frontiers and Assemblage are basically the same company i.e. Parts Conexxion when they were still making products with all designs by Parts Connexxion's Chris Johnson and his team. Assemblage was simply the kit-based branding though they offered them factory assembled as well i.e. by Parts Connexxion (Connection, etc). The Assemblage DAC1 is the SAME thing as the Sonic Frontiers Trans DAC except in a different looking chassis. So how is one brand fantastic and the other overrated? Certainly some models arent as good a value as others and some aren't that great while some are awesome... but that's how things go huh?

I have the go-ahead for a Reference 7 loaner program if anyone is interested, I just need to start a thread over there. It'll be for people with serious gear/experience already, so now's your chance.

I think I'd actually be interested in checking out a Ref 7 - when I saw regal's post mentioning he has an Audio-GD DAC, I did a double-take! I'm still biased against Chinese gear on principle but would be willing to give the Ref 7 a fair chance. ;) If Audio-GD is interested in the loaner primarily for the user reviews I'm not sure what I'd offer though since I don't exactly have a comparable source (with my main one being a CDP, and the Ayre QB-9 being USB only). Most likely I'd use the Ref 7 from the coaxial output of my CDP and do only that comparison. (But it'd be an interesting comparison for me since both my CDP and the Ref 7 use the PCM1704, although in different quantities.)

I think I'd actually be interested in checking out a Ref 7 - when I saw regal's post mentioning he has an Audio-GD DAC, I did a double-take! I'm still biased against Chinese gear on principle but would be willing to give the Ref 7 a fair chance. ;) If Audio-GD is interested in the loaner primarily for the user reviews I'm not sure what I'd offer though since I don't exactly have a comparable source (with my main one being a CDP, and the Ayre QB-9 being USB only). Most likely I'd use the Ref 7 from the coaxial output of my CDP and do only that comparison. (But it'd be an interesting comparison for me since both my CDP and the Ref 7 use the PCM1704, although in different quantities.)

I remember in elementary school being biased against Chinese made products. :D I think everyone, including Kingwa himself, wants to get some idea how his gear compares to the highly respected brand names. I don't think it matters that you have a CD player rather than a DAC. The only thing that is going to matter other than ensuring everyone involved is reliable and has a suitable degree of experience and gear, is that they have a balanced amp, as half the DAC circuitry is negated using the SE outputs (and the THD off the top of my head, is slightly higher SE).

• 1 month later...

In answer to thread title: Yes, a little bit.

There's a LOT of choices out there up and down the spectrum which is a good thing but it's all too easy to start getting lost.

In my case, I'm starting to consider things like the Wyred DAC-2, the Lavry DA-11, or possibly even the PerfectWave DAC if I can swing a good deal on it.