Briefcases, Bags, and the Murse

The Monkey

I'll bet this is yet another thing a lot of us obsess about.

The iPad thread has me considering several different murses. But now I also think I need a new briefcase. I have an old school leather Coach briefcase, which is nice, but heavy and somewhat impractical for my gadget-y self. I'm thinking about this:

Zephyr: TOM BIHN

zephyrindigo1.jpg

Thoughts? Criticisms? Useless drivel?

Jeff, it can really differ from day-to-day. Sometimes it's virtually nothing. Other days, I'll need files (big), a book, umbrella. Then various phones/iPad/power cords. And I like pockets. But it also has to look somewhat corporate appropriate (but not fancy). The Coach is a nice case that I would use for meetings, court, etc.

Any suggestions?

Reksy, the Coach I have is very lawyerly already. Looking for something less formal.

Edited by The Monkey

I carry this one most days. Not too heavy and is a bit stylish while not out of place in a business situation. Very comfortable shoulder strap. My main complaint is the noise it makes when the metal pieces rub together on the strap and strap mounts.

I usually have iPad, Camera, Pico Amp/DACs, Overdrive wifi thingee, Pen, Pencil, keys, crappy Dell laptop, JH13 case and have no problem carrying all.

149170_1_1?resmode=3&op_sharpen=1&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=80,1&hei=450&wid=360

They make a smaller one but I am not sure your files would fit in the smaller bag.

Most days I would prefer a Messenger bag and as my Jack Spade is officially worn out I am trying out new messengers. So far the Cole Haan is my favorite.

Portage-Messenger-A10651_A.jpg

Both bags have newspaper bag sizes that I will probably pick up at some point for the days I only need to carry the iPad.

Not so much for my office.

I have a messenger bag/backpack/briefcase combo bag which works pretty well for me. Construction is pretty shoddy (got it for free from my brother's school) but it might be an option if you find a good company that makes something similar.

I like the Jack Spade bags, but they do get pricey fast. Today, though, I was really psyched because I just happened to go to their website and it was 30% off everything. Turns out it must have been a glitch b/c it expired in April.

Jeff, what do you think is the problem with the first one? Too ugly/informal?

Jin, I generally like messenger bags, but wearing them across the shoulder can be tough with a suit for me.

I'm also looking for something with some internal structure instead of one big pocket because I'm basically a big mess.

Tumi does make nice bags, including my favorite garment bag:

109547_1_1?resmode=3&op_sharpen=1&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=80,1&hei=450&wid=360

Edited by The Monkey

Mike is a copycat and got the Alpha after I did. I actually like the inside organization/pockets of my previous Tumi but the Alpha is pretty good. Those Red Oxx things look pretty damn good and the price looks very nice. I like the gray/black Tom Bihn bags, and would probably go for the Empire Builder for the bigger capacity.

eb081.jpg

Dinny ... if you like pockets and rugged construction, check the Red Oxx Metro or, if that's not big enough, their CPA Briefcase.

I have neither, but do have 3 of their other bags and love them. Made in Montana by former parachute riggers.

Awesome Gene. Just what I was looking for. Ordered the Red Oxx Metro in safari. I'll make sure to bring it to CanJam if I decide to show up.

Awesome Gene. Just what I was looking for. Ordered the Red Oxx Metro in safari. I'll make sure to bring it to CanJam if I decide to show up.

Cool, Jim. I'm a safari man myself. Yeah, here's hoping you find time in your busy schedule to make to CJ. :)

You'll love the Red Oxx bag, but be warned, you'll want more.

I use a Filson 257. It's built like a tank and gets better with age. A year later, it's still not close to broken-in.

pFILSON1-5257209p275w.jpg

I don't mind that it actually looks like an oversized purse, though it looks more rugged and masculine in real life.

Filson gear tends to be pretty heavy. How much does that thing weigh?

Not as heavy as the same thing in leather, but definitely heavier than it looks. To me, that just means the canvas is thick and sturdy, and it lends to a feeling of quality.

It's a decent daily bag and a great travel bag. I cut out one of the inner dividers - it took 10 minutes with a sharp knife (thick stitching!) but I'm happy with the result.

Got mine from Crane's Country Store - best prices and great service.