Briefcases, Bags, and the Murse

The Monkey

Tom Bihn is fast, my ordered shipped this afternoon!

I was looking at the Tom Bihn ID bag to take as a personal item to carry along with the Aeronaut when I need to carry the Macbook Pro (15") on a trip. For those who have one, would this be too big to work as a personal item? I wouldn't be using this for everyday needs as I already have a Chrome Soma for that. However, I think the Chrome bag is too big for a personal item (plus it looks like a backpack which sometimes isn't allowed for personal items) although it does fit underneath the seat. Also, it would be too difficult to carry the the Chrome when using the Aeronaut as a backpack.

Edited by shellylh

Oh, and I bumped into another One Bag site:

http://www.onebag.com

This is a strictly informative site (no forum), and the guy, Doug Dyment, seems to have also helped design both the Skytrain and Airboss.

I had no idea there was such a thing as a "one bag" type movement out there, and I do find it amusing that it's pretty much what we knew and were doing 30 years ago, but I will say that the technology has improved greatly since then, especially with bags and clothing, and I've learned a few things over the past couple days of looking around (what's the best clothesline, best travel towel, etc.).

I read quite a bit of that site and it gave me quite a bit to think about regarding bags and packing. I'm going to have to try his wrapping, not folding technique for clothes the next time I take nice clothes anywhere.

After seeing that Tom Binh strap, I'm wondering if I can trouble you to receive one of those straps for me (and maybe something else if you all keep suggesting cool accessories) and put it in the bag when it is sent to me. It would save me a crapload on shipping.

Something worth checking, now I am thinking of practicalities is: Will the bags come in their own, individual packages to make it easy to send on to everyone? It might be worth checking with them if you can get individual packing boxes or bags and not end up with them all arriving in one box, which would make for more work.

Tyll: There are most definitely multi-chargers that abolish the need for carrying a bunch of wall-warts. The last one I saw had a battery for charging your devices, so you only had to charge its battery at the airport.

Edited by Currawong

I read quite a bit of that site and it gave me quite a bit to think about regarding bags and packing. I'm going to have to try his wrapping, not folding technique for clothes the next time I take nice clothes anywhere.

Bundle wrapping is the way to go, though I recommend doing two bundles, stacking them one on top of the other, with the first one containing most everything, and the second, just one complete change of clothing, the ones you want to wear first after arriving, even if that's just your sleep clothing. Otherwise, it's a real pain to find that one sweater or whatever when you're tired and don't want to deal with the whole bag.

After seeing that Tom Binh strap, I'm wondering if I can trouble you to receive one of those straps for me (and maybe something else if you all keep suggesting cool accessories) and put it in the bag when it is sent to me. It would save me a crapload on shipping.

Right now, my understanding is that Red Oxx will be shipping the HC bags individually to folks, though I've sent an email to confirm. If that's not the deal, I, quite frankly, am not willing to deal with shipping out larger bags to everyone getting one, so we'll see.

Tom Bihn is fast, my ordered shipped this afternoon!

I was looking at the Tom Bihn ID bag to take as a personal item to carry along with the Aeronaut when I need to carry the Macbook Pro (15") on a trip. For those who have one, would this be too big to work as a personal item? I wouldn't be using this for everyday needs as I already have a Chrome Soma for that. However, I think the Chrome bag is too big for a personal item (plus it looks like a backpack which sometimes isn't allowed for personal items) although it does fit underneath the seat. Also, it would be too difficult to carry the the Chrome when using the Aeronaut as a backpack.

Shelly, I have the ID and will be traveling with it on Thursday night but there should be no issue carrying it on as a personal item. It's not much different in size or character from a briefcase.

Realizing I could carry the laptop in the Aeronaut, I ordered the Copilot in black (with Absolute strap and ipad cache). I hope to be able to use it as my everyday "purse." It will carry slightly more than the Timbuk2 Freestyle that I have. The big plus for me in the water bottle holder and the fact that it is just large enough to carry a pad a paper. It should be the perfect "personal item" to carry onboard with the Aeronaut.

copilot4.jpg

Think I may end up canceling my travel team gator order. I just don't know what I would use it for (except maybe as a camera bag for the DSLR). I like the look of the Timbuk2 Freestyle and TB Copilot more than the Gator (I actually don't like the outside pockets on the Red Oxx bags very much). Any suggestions?

Realizing I could carry the laptop in the Aeronaut, I ordered the Copilot in black (with Absolute strap and ipad cache). I hope to be able to use it as my everyday "purse." It will carry slightly more than the Timbuk2 Freestyle that I have. The big plus for me in the water bottle holder and the fact that it is just large enough to carry a pad a paper. It should be the perfect "personal item" to carry onboard with the Aeronaut.

copilot4.jpg

Think I may end up canceling my travel team gator order. I just don't know what I would use it for (except maybe as a camera bag for the DSLR). I like the look of the Timbuk2 Freestyle and TB Copilot more than the Gator (I actually don't like the outside pockets on the Red Oxx bags very much). Any suggestions?

Shelly, I am returning my iPad Cache 1. It is meant for an iPad without a case. I bought the Apple case, since my wife took mine and it fit but was tough to get in and out. I found that the iPad case and my ID provided enough protection for the iPad. Which size Cache did you order? I also have the Clear Organizer Pouch - med. and the Padded Organizer Pouch - Med. If you or anyone else has any interest, I can bring them and if someone wants them, they can pay me, saving me from having to ship them back.

I will probably just get something locally at Microcenter (maybe something like the Timbuk2 case that is in the Freestyle - that works well probably because of the soft fabric inside). I don't need anything special... just something to keep the dirt and crud out and something that isn't too bulky.

@Mike and Dinny: The Cache size 1 and ipad cache do seem to be different so maybe the ipad cache is slightly larger.

Edited by shellylh