Briefcases, Bags, and the Murse

The Monkey

• 2 months later...

Ok, so I need some laptop bag advice. In short order (less than two weeks) I need to travel with my rather large Alienware M17x. I have a crappy bag that I use for schleping it around locally but this is going to require something much better to make sure that doesn't suffer at the hands of the TSA (I may just pack it in my lulggage) and I'll need the bag to be able to carry other stuff back and forth to the class that I'm taking. Right now the leading, but not really preferred, contender is the Orion M17x bag. It appears to cover all the funcational bases that I need leaves me wanting. On the flip side the budget for this purchase is pretty limited so I'm not going to be springing for anything like Dan's link above.

I'm actually thinking that a Tom Bihn *gasp* Brain backpack might be the way to go for this trip. I think it'd be easier and more comfortable to carry than a shoulder bag, could pull double-duty as my only carry-on and is reasonably affordable. Sadly Red Oxx doesn't make anything that would accommodate a 17" laptop or at least not my 17" laptop. I think I pretty much have to order something today to make sure it gets here in time or pay through the nose for shipping...

I use the brain cell, with two different bags (ID and Tri-star) and stand-alone. I really like it and has protected my computer really well. I need to get another one, as my retina mbp stretches this one out and isn't exactly a perfect fit, but it works fine for now. They can also be found occasionally on EBay.

Edited by luvdunhill

Red Oxx Sky Train would be the backpack option and it says the main compartment and pockets are 19 x 13, so that should work too.

Hmmm, I really don't want to go over to the darkside of Bihn... I just wish that the Sky Train had more exterior pockets for stashing stuff that you want to get to quickly. I guess I'll give myself a bit more time tonight to mull over options. Thanks for your input everyone and if other ideas come up, feel free to toss them out there.

And CJ, yeah, it's a mammoth 12lb'er. It's my only laptop and I need something with excel for the class I'm taking so it is what it is. Until MAC makes something that you can game on I'm sticking with what actually works not what is supposed to work via a semi-workaround, blah blah blah. :) Bonus is that it'll be nice to watch movies on at the hotel and for typing on for work that I have to bring with me. I'll still bring the ipad for on the plane use.

I actually like the Brain Backpack a lot and will have a hard time not buying it. I love the RedOxx stuff but I picked RO the first time because it was the function over form solution to what I wanted (but still looked good to me). I think case, right now, the Bihn seems like both for what I'm looking for. I wish their factory store in Seattle had better hours so I could go over and find a laptop sleeve or case that might fit in the Backpack but they have really limited hours from what is posted online.