Briefcases, Bags, and the Murse

The Monkey

I'm looking to get a backpack to replace my Red Oxx Rockhopper.  I like the Rockhopper, but I need something that isn't a sling.  The primary purpose will be a sort of day bag for the Little Monkey and me.  That means 2 baseball mitts, a sweatshirt, water bottles, balls, snacks, and maybe a towel.  One of the Red Oxx rucks seems cool, but I also like the Synapse.  I think I would probably need the Synapse 25, but that seems like it would be too big for my short ass.

What to do?

I've been thinking of picking up a bag for hiking. Lots of choices out there, it seems.

Me too.  My brother does some day and weekend hiking and swears by REI.  If you're a member you can get special pricing on pack rentals.  That way you get to try things out before buying.  I've been meaning to do it, but have not had time for an overnight hike yet.  I've got a nice discontinued Timbuk2 day pack that works well for short hikes.

I'm looking to get a backpack to replace my Red Oxx Rockhopper. I like the Rockhopper, but I need something that isn't a sling. The primary purpose will be a sort of day bag for the Little Monkey and me. That means 2 baseball mitts, a sweatshirt, water bottles, balls, snacks, and maybe a towel. One of the Red Oxx rucks seems cool, but I also like the Synapse. I think I would probably need the Synapse 25, but that seems like it would be too big for my short ass.

What to do?

Tom Bihn Smart Alec. It is really light but holds a ton. It is my daily backpack. I have also taken it on many trips. It may hold more than the Synapse 25 because of it's form factor (mostly a very large opening but with some useful pockets and o-rings). Also it is a very good size for short people. I think the Synapse 19 would be too small. I can check that it will hold everything you want if I get time today. I'll be borrowing the RO Mini Ruck from Gene and can take pictures of the two when I get it and tell you which is more comfortable, etc. I am guessing that I will stick with the Smart Alec though.

http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/TB0103.html

Also, I realized that it will hold a 13" MBP with 2 water bottles - I don't know what I was thinking.

Edited by shellylh

I need new rolly luggage to check.  This will get banged around and so I don't want to pay too much but would like something that is not totally going to fall apart and doesn't have really shitty zippers.  Also, lighter would be better.  Any suggestions?

Edited by shellylh

Damn, the Smart Alec looks like what I need, though I don't know if it would fit a camera as well. The Gator is too good -- i end up overloading it with the MB Air and D7000 and it becomes a PITA to lug around. There's a Crumpler backpack around the right size for both those things with a camera side entry, but maybe I need to get the Sony RX1 instead...

Trying switching out the Gator's strap for a Tom Bihn Absolute Strap. Made a world of difference on my Airboss.

I use this combination for my gym bag and it is ok for light loads and short distances.  A TB backpack is going to be much better in terms of comfort though (at least for me).

Going to get a couple of those. You've now got me surfing the Tom Bihn web site and damn....

Edit: Bought the Brain Bag and some straps.

Congrat!

Edited by shellylh

Even when I have both my 11" MBA and iPad in the gator, along with notebook, power cords, Pico DAC/Amp, portable drive, PX200 headphones, small flashlight, various pens and pencils, sunglasses, water bottle, and other shit I am forgetting, the standard Red Oxx strap works fine for me. But the absolute strap works well on the bigger sun chaser and Airboss when I load them up.

The damn Red Oxx safari is on backorder for a long time.  Other than black what are some other cool colors.  How's their navy?

I have a Gator in olive and it is fantastic.  I wish I would have got the Sun Chaser in olive instead of "midnight" (navy) (which is a bit boring).  If I get a Mini Ruck it would definitely be in olive. 

91054-Red-Oxx-C-Ruck-Rucksack-thumbnail.

Edited by shellylh