Briefcases, Bags, and the Murse

The Monkey

I got nuthin' -- I like all their colours, including yes to the Olive, even though their "amethyst" is a little too bright for my tastes, I even like the Kelly green..I mean, "forest".

And yeah, the Saffron does look pretty damn good in person.  And the black looks pretty classic, too, as do some of the more subdued colors like charcoal and khaki.

Basically, it's a no lose situation.  Just pick one, damnit, and you'll probably like it.  I'm not a blue person, but IIRC, you are, so I'd go Mariner if you are.

I can never decide on colours, so black it is for me, always.

Even when I have both my 11" MBA and iPad in the gator, along with notebook, power cords, Pico DAC/Amp, portable drive, PX200 headphones, small flashlight, various pens and pencils, sunglasses, water bottle, and other shit I am forgetting, the standard Red Oxx strap works fine for me. But the absolute strap works well on the bigger sun chaser and Airboss when I load them up.

That sounds like what I carry, with textbooks/files or a DSLR sometimes. The pockets behind the front pockets are perfect for my backup battery and wireless/LTE thing. I don't like the strap though.

Edited by Currawong

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived home to find a package on the front porch.  Coach sent back my bag, with no notice whatsoever to me.  Inside I got a letter basically telling me that since they stand behind their product they went ahead and stitched up the 4 month old bag.  Didn't even bother treating the leather before sending it back.

• 3 months later...

I've been using a Crumpler messenger laptop bag for long trips for quite some time now.  It's been good, but not great.  One of my dogs managed to eat one of the clips so I'm using that as an excuse to search for a new bag.  

I tend to stuff a lot of gear in the bag for long trips so I need something pretty large.  I also prefer a messenger style sling to a back pack or over the shoulder.

You guys have me really interested in the Tom Bihn stuff.  My first choice looks like the Empire Builder, but I'm wondering how well it carries across the body as a messenger, especially a "larger boned" body?  Would I be better served with the Super Ego?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up going with the Empire Builder, it arrived today.  I'm pretty impressed.  These are nice bags.  

The bag was a little heavier than I expected when empty.  The size looks about perfect for my overpacking on trips, and in fact is a bit smaller than I expected so I can see it getting some daily use to the office as well.

Messenger slinging seems like it will be fine for general commuting/traveling.  

Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have the Filson carry on bags or the laptop bags. My POS Coach bag is coming unsewn again so I am looking to replace it with something capable of surviving more than 4 months without going in for service. I think it would be nice if I could carry the carry on bags with laptop, etc. for travel but I am not sure I could make any of the carry on bags work that way.

Anyone have the Filson carry on bags or the laptop bags. My POS Coach bag is coming unsewn again so I am looking to replace it with something capable of surviving more than 4 months without going in for service. I think it would be nice if I could carry the carry on bags with laptop, etc. for travel but I am not sure I could make any of the carry on bags work that way.

It's falling apart again already?  ??? Wow.

Yeah Coach sucks.

Went with a green Large Laptop.

i-m6XwNZ6-X2.jpg

Definitely need something to organize the main compartment as the laptop and iPad each have sleeves but then it is just a big open space.

Will try it out on the San Francisco trip starting tomorrow to see if I can live with this one.

I ended up going with the Empire Builder, it arrived today.  I'm pretty impressed.  These are nice bags.  

The bag was a little heavier than I expected when empty.  The size looks about perfect for my overpacking on trips, and in fact is a bit smaller than I expected so I can see it getting some daily use to the office as well.

Messenger slinging seems like it will be fine for general commuting/traveling.  

Thanks for the advice.

ive been waiting since the spring to see what the new Checkpoint Flyer offers, but its not available yet. They did just release the Founder's Briefcase, but its not for me as there are no outside compartments. i may end up getting a Cadet

Completely out of topic but i have no idea how to PM justin.

I saw that headamp was going to be at the mook festival in Singapore. Will you be there and will the BHSE+Stax Sr009 combo be coming along? No idea how else us south-east asians are ever going to get to hear that combo without flying to the states. =D

Thanks