Briefcases, Bags, and the Murse

The Monkey

What about the ID?  It is awesome and fits the MBP 15" really well.  It holds a bit more than the Zephry and is slightly lighter.  You do have to lift up the flap to get the laptop out (and I use a skin with the laptop for padding)  but I view the flap as extra rain protection.  Also, it has a water bottle holder which for me is a must (although it doesn't look as professional because of it). 

The Cadet does have rail loops though which makes it more like the Checkpoint Flyer.  I think Dinny has the Cadet.   It doesn't seem to hold that much though. 

i'm hoping for something that is suitable to go under the seat in front on a plane, while still allowing for leg room. and has outside compartments good for holding earphones, food, etc. looking at the ID the outside compartments may be a bit less accessible, also may require pulling the whole bag out from under the seat to get to the laptop

Edited by justin

There are 3 outside compartments that are easily accessible.  The one on the flap, and the two small ones on the side/front (and the pocket in back).  Those small pockets towards the side aren't good for good but the side pockets are great for small items like small phone (like an iPhone), iems, etc.  The front pocket good is good for other things (it holds more than it looks like it will hold in the pictures).  That said, if you wanted to get something bigger out, you would have to pick up the flap.  It fits under the seat fine (of course, I'm only 5'2" so you can't really trust me about leg room).  

Edited by shellylh

ive been waiting since the spring to see what the new Checkpoint Flyer offers, but its not available yet. They did just release the Founder's Briefcase, but its not for me as there are no outside compartments. i may end up getting a Cadet

I just returned from another trip with the Empire Builder.  It's amazing how much gear it swallows! 

Now that I have it I'd feel confident trying one of the smaller bags knowing just how much you can stuff in them comfortably.

Jeff, that Filson is a nice looking bag.  I've been using a 5.11 Rush Messenger for work.  While I rarely have to worry about what my briefcase looks like it might be nice to have one that is a bit more office/client acceptable while still not being too over the top.

Just checked the website, kind of like the Tin Cloth Original Briefcase.

ah, the last time they were there, they paired the sr-009 with a a cary intergrated amp with an energizer. 

Next time then.

Yes and no, for many, the owners themselves showed up. Jerry harvey was at the last one, along with rudistor, My Suyama of Fitear, and Mr Takai of Final Audio Design etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i bought a maxpedition to keep some random crap in.  i thought it would fit the field notes but its really too snug.  may try something else like just a pen/pencil case.  

this has wetfire and chapstick on the outside pocket, will add an olfa touch utility and button compass when they arrive.

have not decided on a pencil yet.  i want it short.

omfg, i love the matte black fisher

maxpedition.3.22.2014.png

• 1 month later...

Get a Baileyworks bag.  Made for biking so it fits very well and does not move while riding. Very well made.

I second this recommendation.  If my commute wasn't 20 miles each way I'd still be using mine.  Justin, if you want to try one I could ship one down to you.

I bought a Tom Bihn ID bag for exactly the same purpose. Has a shoulder strap and also has a second strap and holds the bag real secur e.

looks like one i'd consider. also thought about a backpack like the Tom Bihn Synapse, it's just a little large to pass as a personal item for air travel

The Tom Bihn ID is great. If I could handle a messenger bag, I would carry this a lot more often. My daily carry is a TB Smart Alec. I often use it as a personal item on the plane with no problem. For me it is perfect because it holds 2 40oz water bottles in its side pockets. It also has a large cavernous space in the middle which holds a ton. I tried the Synapse (the smaller one) but sent it back since it was too small. The larger Synapse may be a bit too big for a personal item if you stuffed it too full.

Edited by shellylh