Briefcases, Bags, and the Murse

The Monkey

Dinny, though the handle's in the way of a good view, in the middle compartment there are a couple clips (removable) that are there to use with their Brain Cell, which is protective laptop case in different sizes for different models. You basically snap the case in, and it secures the laptop from moving around at all. In the front compartment, there's a zippered section that is good for shoes or whatever, but you can also unzip it completely to have a section the size of the rear section open to you if you need more room for larger clothes. The three pockets up front are roomier than they look. It's designed really well. Also, the zippers remind me of what you see on wet suits: sealed, no cloth showing, no water can get in.

Edited by boomana

I travelled with mine over the break and loved it. I will retain my statement about more attention to detail than the Oxx bags. Everything is really well done and well layed out. The upgraded strap is very nice as well, definitely the best shoulder strap I've ever used. Also, it looks decent when on the back as well using the shoulder straps. I'd say it's a good 3-4 days worth of clothes and no more though. All in all, it's really nice.

Vicki, it takes a bit of patience to install the pulls on the zippers. If you want, I can do it for you in SF, but it's not too hard to figure out.

been loosely following this thread. i was for the past few months using this -

Amazon.com: Wenger Slim Case for Lenovo: Electronics

recently sister made claim to it this break. now i am left without a laptop case. i could just get it again - it is cheap enough and functionally i havent come across something that fit my current needs perfectly for the next semester. just enough room for my laptop, battery and a few pens/odds and ends.

with the new program i am about to start in the college of business, part of me feels the need to grow up and dress appropriately. a nicer laptop bag might be in order. dont know if i want it to have oodles of space but it should certainly be able to hold a laptop and a charger. i feel that i will probably not get a mba simply because i see a lot of c++, mathematica, bloomberg and other math/programming stuff ahead and i dont think i will have the time to figure it all out on the fly with macs. leaning more towards an ipad now - easier to read on the train/bus etc. both boston or pittsburg/nyc will require long commutes. ipads seem to be the weapon of choice with most current students i have spoken with. almost all have thinkpads for serious work and ipads for reading bloomberg/wsj and other news related stuff.

so i guess id like to get something that can hold my 14" thinkpad and perhaps an ipad. dont really take anything else on the go with me that doesnt fit in my pockets. most of my textbooks are in pdf format so dont need to carry those. occasional paper needs to be carried but i doubt that will be any trouble.

budget is ~$200. minimal weight would be most preferred. aesthetics wise, black = good or dark leather. nothing more than like 2-3 zippers.

I chose black as well. Though I thought the indigo and red bags were beautiful, I don't see any reason to draw undue attention to my bag when traveling, especially if it's a carry-on. I can see wanting a different color for check-on luggage, just to easily identify it, but I still prefer to be low key. Plus, black won't show dirt. Marc's steel/solar is also quite nice.

I'm considering whether to make another Bihn purchase. If I do, the choice is between the ID medium messenger bag or the Zephyr briefcase. I do not have the need for a more professional style briefcase, like the Tumi I currently use. I like the Tumi but it goes more with someone wearing a suit and I rarely where a suit. I also do not go to court all that often these days since I have slaves, I mean associates that cover most of my appearances. I prefer to have something more functional and casual and, quite frankly, this is a good excuse to buy a cool new bag.

The Zephyr is the briefcase version of the ID with a bit more space. The one thing I do not like with many messenger bags is the there is no handle to carry the bag like a briefcase. The ID has a handle which is a plus. They both are big enough to carry an ipad and/or a MBA in 11' or 13". I don't think I would use a Brain Cell. While they provide great protection, they also take up a lot of space. The bag itself with an iPad cover and the MBA with a sleeve will be more than enough for protection in either bag. I am leaning ID since it gives me the across shoulder carry of a messenger bag and a handle for briefcase style carry. I guess I should order one as it can always be returned.